How can I make my copy of Windows 7 genuine again?

Tom Lyon March 3, 2013

I did not have a disk for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 that came on this laptop new. My nephew brought over his new unused copy of Windows 7 Professional that we installed on this new hard drive I had to replace. The computer is running now, but it says my version of Windows is not Genuine. Very true, he installed it on his computer. It is his key. I just cannot figure out how to get my Home Premium version back. Only thing I can do right now is pay to upgrade to Win 8 or pay the difference between HP64 and Pro32 (which I don’t want or need)

1. K.V.D.Prasad

just go through http://h33t.com/torrent/04816489/crack-activator-patch-windows-7-loader-v2-1-7-december-2012-degu and download the activator via any torrent client and follow the instructions to patch your windows.

2. Imesh Chandrasiri

just buy a new key from Microsoft and use that key to activate your copy of windows. It'll make your current installation a genuine one.

• Chris Marcoe

That would be expensive. As opposed to jsut using the key from the sticker on the bottom.

3. Justin Pot

Your best bet is if your nephew did not overwrite the restore partition. Try to access it. What kind of laptop do you own? Let me know and I can provide instructions.

4. ferdinan Sitohang

The best is like Rajaa Chowdhury said, just download it, burn to DVD and reinstall your laptop using your license key

If you dont have a licence key sticker or it is damaged then why not contact the laptops main dealer and ask for a set of recovery discs, explaining what has happened. That way you will get the chipset drivers along with other essential drivers in with the recovery discs.

• Greg Perry

This is the best option if you are using a vendors device, now if it is a custom built computer, then without the original CD's, you will have to purchase a legit copy of the OS from a vendor and reformat/reinstall the OS.

6. Switchblade Rebirth

Since you have the Win7 Professional Disk, you can make it into an ISO by using ISO editing tools such as Power ISO. You would have to delete the ei.cfg in the sources folder and you would get all editions of Windows 7(excluding enterprise and starter[if 64-bit]). Then just install home premium and use the key as Jim had said.

• Muo TechGuy

Wow, that's a pretty awesome little hack. Have an upvote!

• Chris Marcoe

Cool...you can make a windows 7 pro install like home premium? that's pretty slick.

If you have a Licence Key label on bottom of laptop, access the internet then click on Start, right click on Computer, select Properties and under Windows Activation click on Change Product Key, Enter product key in resulting window and enter.

• Muo TechGuy

That won't help if he has the wrong version of windows installed.

• Chris Marcoe

though it would work if he gets Home Premium back on it. He should be able to use Win 7 11 in 1 to restore the OS, if he can't get it from the recovery partition.

You would be having the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 product key label sticker in your laptop. Download the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 ISO image from the link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/c0e78d7a-883d-4caa-a8c0-1e127a14612a . You need to download the one which says Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with SP1 (bootable) . Follow all the instruction as given by J W Stuart (MVP) and you would have a bootable Windows 7 Home Premium 64 DVD for installing which you can use with the product key as provided already.

Your laptop probably contained a recovery partition that could be used fro factory reset, normally this can be accessed while booting and pressing on one F(x=8, 11...) keys, using factory reset option you can re-install windows and activate it. Now if you removed the hard drive then the recovery partition also was removed!

if your nephew removed the copy from his computer, then after installing on your laptop there is an option activate by phone, try that. Also it can be license activation restriction such as number of time that can be activated or your nephew windows is tied to his computer.