How can I make Internet Explorer my default browser?
Question by Christine /

I had to download Google Chrome in order to receive the E edition of People Magazine. Now I have that
icon on my start screen.

Somehow, whenever I chose the Internet Explorer or the Google Chrome icon, they both take me to the same place. I do not need two different icons for one item. I would like my Internet Explorer back for searching different things and the Google Chrome for the E edition.

• Debbie Genealogy

Christine, this should be easy. Just go to Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Programs Tab. It will say IE is not your current browser. Check the box, reboot, and it should work.

• Amit Sinha

If IE is not your default browser then simply open it and it ask to make IE default browser. that’s it

• Christin

If you use IE 10:
    1. Open IE
    2. Choose Internet Option
    3. Click Program Tab
    4. Click Make IE default browser

However, like another users say, I recommend you to use Chrome. Otherwise, you can still use IE but make sure you have the latest version.

• Kamil Ko

If you have Windows 7, try the following:
    Click Start, type in “set your default programs”, click in on the list, choose Internet Explorer on the left, and then choose “set this program as default”.

It should work in Vista too.

• Jim Chambers

Are you saying that both go to the e-zine page? If so, just reset the home page in IE internet options/General tab.

• Luvrockz Ariph

Open the Tools menu.
    Click on internet options.
    Click on the Programs Tab.
    Click on the Make Default button.
    You can also check the check box so that IE will notify you if another program attempts to become the default.

• Michael Teague

Start IE.
    Open the Tools menu.
    Click on internet options.
    Click on the Programs Tab.
    Click on the Make Default button.

BTW you should try Chrome for awhile. I find it much better than IE.

• Junil Maharjan

Why don’t you try firefox?

• Ashwin Ramesh

Head over to your IE. Go to tools (the gear icon) on the top-right. Click on it. Go to Internet Options. In the newly opened window, head to the tab saying “Programs” and click on “Make Default”. Click Apply and close the window. Now IE is your default browser :)