How can I make Internet Explorer my default browser?

Christine December 25, 2012

I had to download Google Chrome in order to receive the E edition of People Magazine. Now I have that
icon on my start screen.

Somehow, whenever I chose the Internet Explorer or the Google Chrome icon, they both take me to the same place. I do not need two different icons for one item. I would like my Internet Explorer back for searching different things and the Google Chrome for the E edition.

1. Debbie Genealogy

Christine, this should be easy. Just go to Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Programs Tab. It will say IE is not your current browser. Check the box, reboot, and it should work.

2. Amit Sinha

If IE is not your default browser then simply open it and it ask to make IE default browser. that's it

3. Christin

If you use IE 10:
    1. Open IE
    2. Choose Internet Option
    3. Click Program Tab
    4. Click Make IE default browser

However, like another users say, I recommend you to use Chrome. Otherwise, you can still use IE but make sure you have the latest version.

4. Kamil Ko

If you have Windows 7, try the following:
    Click Start, type in "set your default programs", click in on the list, choose Internet Explorer on the left, and then choose "set this program as default".

It should work in Vista too.

Are you saying that both go to the e-zine page? If so, just reset the home page in IE internet options/General tab.

6. Luvrockz Ariph

Open the Tools menu.
    Click on internet options.
    Click on the Programs Tab.
    Click on the Make Default button.
    You can also check the check box so that IE will notify you if another program attempts to become the default.

Make Internet Explorer your default browser
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser#ie=ie-10

How to Make Internet Explorer Your Default Internet Browser
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Internet-Explorer-Your-Default-Internet-Browser

8. Michael Teague

Start IE.
    Open the Tools menu.
    Click on internet options.
    Click on the Programs Tab.
    Click on the Make Default button.

BTW you should try Chrome for awhile. I find it much better than IE.

Why don't you try firefox?

10. Ashwin Ramesh

Head over to your IE. Go to tools (the gear icon) on the top-right. Click on it. Go to Internet Options. In the newly opened window, head to the tab saying "Programs" and click on "Make Default". Click Apply and close the window. Now IE is your default browser :)

11. Fawad Mirzad

For setting internet explorer as default browser click on setting icon on right corner of your browser >> Click internet options from setting menu >> Click on programs tab >>> click on make default >>> And click ok.
    Now internet explorer is your default browser.
    This works in IE 10, IE 9 and in IE8 you need to go to tools menu >>> intenet options.
    Hopefully this have solved your problem

12. Rob Hindle

For IE 9 (other versions are similar)
    Start IE9 - I'm a bit unclear from your explanation - have you list the icon? If you search programs for Internet explorere canyou find it? If necessary download a fresh copy and run the IE installer
    Click the gear wheel icon then Internet Options, under the Programs tag there's a Defaout web browser section and a "Make default" button