How can I make high-quality videos with a small file size?

Piseth Mao March 14, 2013

Can anyone tell me how the guys who post high quality videos on the torrent site like the Piratebay and many others with very small file size, like 700MB for 720p video of 1 hour and 20 minutes? How do they do that or are they using any special software to do it?

Here at my office, we produce edutainment videos of around 30 minutes each but the file size of an avi video can go as high as 8GB and if we convert to other format like mp4 the size goes down ok but the quality is almost unwatchable.

Please advise.

1. SaapeXD MoHods

Its the Output settings! You guys are probably outputting the Video files in Uncompressed mode.

Try to use a better output settings!

( What software are u using to Render/Output the edutainment Video Files? if I know those and the output settings available in the software, I could recommend a HIGH QUALITY Output settings to use on the file being rendered/outputted at your office).

2. Chinmay Sarupria

X/H.264 produces high quality video even if heavily compressed.

3. Piseth

Thanks, both of you for your kind answers. To ha14, you are my hero who always gives me hope when I can't find any answer elsewhere. For this question, I read one of your link about YIFI and yes, I found it great. Thanks again guy. You have good knowledge and kind heart.

• Eric Yan

you know if you enjoyed my post at ericolon.wordpress.com you coulda given it a like or something, or a comment to show your appreciation... Just sayin'. "Here at my office, we produce edutainment videos of around 30 minutes each but the file size of an avi video can go as high as 8GB and if we convert to other format like mp4 the size goes down ok but the quality is almost unwatchable." since I wrote that article exactly for ppl like you.

thanks for your kind words, best success conversion:)

• Piseth Mao

To Eric Yan: Thousand apologies for not being able to leave my comments on your blog. In fact, I did try but I was on mobile as I read your article at home and posting comment failed after a few attempts. I really appreciate your great insight about the topic. I know you deserve good words for your nice article.

4. Prashant Mirjankar

you'll either have to sacrifice on video or audio quality for this purpose

5. Nitesh Badala

compress your video with winRAR of other compression software

• SaapeXD MoHods

Videos are already compressed to its fullest, Winrar cant compress it any more! In other words, you cant compress a video file with a compressing software!

• Piseth Mao

Thanks Nitesh Badala, but you seemed to answer without reading my question details.

you are reducing too much you will lose quality

download a torrent which is equal to 700MB for 720p video of 1 hour and 20 minutes.
    Install Media Info and check the specification.

Handbrake
    Format: MP4 or MKV
    video codec H.264(x264), Framerate (23.976), Target size (700mb), Avg Bitrate (1400)
    Audio (AAC) bitrate 128

The lowest level for 720p is 3.1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

THE secrets of YIFY and high quality and small file sizes are not so secret after all… Encoding High quality Low bitrate Videos in Handbrake for any device
    http://ericolon.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/the-secrets-of-yify-and-high-quality-and-small-file-sizes-are-not-so-secret-after-all-encoding-high-quality-low-bitrate-videos-in-handbrake-for-any-device/