How can I make a video chat Android app?

Anonymous October 31, 2013

Hello,

I am trying to build an android application that included a live video chat function. Users will log in, select the person they want to chat with and connect. Then once the call has finished they will be requested to complete a form providing feedback.

This is just one function of the app so I am worried about using these sites that provide the service of video chat as I would need to be able to incorporate it in to the app as opposed to that being the only function of the app. In many ways the app will function a lot like skype in that all users will have a profile. But I would like the option of having ‘1 to many’ calls not just ‘1 to 1’.

I am a complete novice. Please could you advise me how I would go about creating this? What software to use to build my app (preferably free), what server system I would need to use, etc.

I do hope you can help.

1. James B

With all due respect, one doesn't just learn how to create a videoconferencing app like that. You would need massive server infrastructure to support that kind of thing, and a good deal of knowledge on video compression. Perhaps aim a little lower for your very first Android app.

2. Jimmy B

Use Vtok - Google VideoChat (Beta)