How can I livestream videos on my PC?

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda May 27, 2013

I want to start a livestream using videos that I have on my computer that range from MP4, FLV, WEBM, and MKV, etc. I want to shuffle all of them and have them broadcasted on the Internet so everyone with the link can watch at the exact same time someone else can. The problem is, I don’t know where to start. I am hoping to use VLC media player and I have a Verizon router. I’m not sure if it’s allowed but if you could remote access my computer with TeamViewer or something and do it that would be great. But if it’s not allowed I’m sure the people who inspect the questions on this website can edit this part out. I tried looking stuff up on Google, but it’s all gibberish to me. Please help.

1. Anh Vu

Download the software named Xsplit (free version) then you have everything ready to stream your videos. You can even make a playlist of your videos with Xsplit. When you are done setting up the software and video playlist, you can stream to whatever service you like such as justin.tv, ustream,...

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Awesome! Thank you so much!

2. Iain Madden

It depends what it's for. What you could do is have a fullscreen VLC player, and use Open Broadcast Software, OBS http://obsproject.com/ to stream from your computer to a streaming website like Justin.tv or UStream

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

"Could not create D3D10 device and swap chain" upon "Start Streaming".

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

3. Benjamin Tiessen

Free P2P Broadcasting: http://live.bittorrent.com/

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I have no idea what to do when I enter my username. I have to be in a wait list? I don't fully understand what's going on.

4. Justin Pot

Look into sites like Justin.TV and UStream. They make the job a lot easier. Good luck!

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

How do I get Justin.TV to access my computer's screen and not my webcam?

• Justin Pot

I'm looking into this and I had no idea the process was so complex. Sorry about that. The easiest way to do what you want is to use Google Hangouts on Air. It has a simple "Share Desktop" button that works instantly. Be aware, though, that copywritten material is problematic.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Sweet. Thanks for this info.

How to Use VLC to Stream Media and Live Camera Feed
    http://www.guidingtech.com/9554/vlc-stream-media-live-camera-feed-how-to/

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Unfortunately, that did not work.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

There is no place where I can put an address.

Probably this link should help you : http://www.nchsoftware.com/broadcam/index.html

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

It says "Router configuration required". I have no idea what to do. I looked at the video and I simply don't understand what it's trying to tell me. Furthermore, the type of router I use is a Verizon MI424WR Rev. I router, and I use Verizon FiOS Quantum.

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda :

Broadcom is one of the established solution for this purpose and Free if you add a link. You can use BroadCam video streaming software free if you link to them on your site. Therefore, I suggest and request to solicit help of an IT friend who is good in networking and routers and stuff, to help you out in this project. :) Cheers and wish you all the best for the project.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Do you advise that I request aid from my ISP?

I do not think the ISP would be able to value add. Their customer care would only help you with their service/support related issues and usually the agents would not carry too much knowledge on 3rd. party softwares and I do not think they can or would value add besides their own services. Just checkout in your neighbourhood, I am sure there would be a network related expert ready to help you, or among your friends, a techie. If neither are available, then probably you can hire a freelance engineer to configure it for you. I presume, such people should be available in your locality or town.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Ok. Thanks for letting me know.