How can I limit bandwidth to a specific PC with my Belkin router?

sojan thomas December 2, 2012

I am an internet based business man using 2 routers for my computer. One has a built-in Cable modem + router and the other one is my own second Belkin F5D7234-4 router. ( the routers are wireless routers, but I am using a cable connection for the internet)

One connection goes to my computer and the other to my Dad’s PC.  He is 70 years old. But he always stays in front of the computer and watching porn sites ( I know that).

Then my scripts and all other things slow down due to the bandwidth. Shall I partially block his internet connection? My connection speed is 630 kbps ( as per the provider) and downloading speed is 70 kbps. He only needs 20 kbps for Fasebook or gmail.

I connected the cable to the Belkin router because there is only on output socket for the provider’s router.

I can block the IP of his computer via the MAC address filtering. But then he will complain that he can’t get access internet, so it is not a great solution. If he only gets 20 kbps then he will stop his behavior!? I know it is quite funny, but really I have so many headaches for his activities in front of computer.

Belkin didn’t supports firmware flashing ( in this particular model, I try earlier)

Any software for this situation?

1. Jose Paolo Gonzales Otico

Look up QoS for the router you are using and define the rules =)

2. Giggity Goebbels

Qos is most probably working

3. rohit pandey

it has a complete info about your query......
    enjoy the link

Why are you using two routers?

perhaps netbalancer can help?

Most of the routers has QOS interface where you should be able to define rule based bandwidth pipes. Just checkout the QOS section, if such options are available or not.