How can I install Ubuntu 13.04 alongside Windows 8?

Manuth Chek April 26, 2013

My laptop (with Intel HD 3000 and is UEFI-compliant) already runs Windows 8 Pro. I wanna burn Ubuntu 13.04 onto flash drive, and I already have the ISO file for 64-bit.

However, I got a black screen (and not purple) when I tried to boot from flash drive. Just to be sure, I’ve already enabled booting from USB. Can you help me?

1. Abhishek G

Hey I found a comprehensive guide for this installation and it worked well for me.

http://binarybyte.blogspot.com/2013/08/installing-ubuntu-along-with-windows-8.html

Hope it helps.

2. Gaurav Joshi

you have to disable Secure Boot or UEFI boot by going into bios . Then you will able to boot into Ubuntu. You may have issues with windows 8 Dual boot.so after installation of ubuntu is done.install Boot repair in ubuntu by following this commands
    -sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
    -sudo apt-get update
    -sudo apt-get install boot-repair

3. Toby Martineau

Download UNetbootin, then follow the prompts to install your Ubuntu .iso onto a USB flash drive. Then, stick it into your computer, hold down the Shift key, and restart your computer. On the blue screen that comes up, click "Use a Device." Click on the USB option. From there, follow the prompts.
    *Important! Use the 64-bit version of Ubuntu!*

4. Fuad Rony

I think I should give a try

5. Mitesh Budhabhatti

Have you tried to boot some another computer with your flash drive ? Maybe flashing is the problem. I too had the same problem. In my case culprit was flash drive. I used another flash drive and burned it again and it worked.

6. ScriptJunkie

I have similar hardware and the same happened to me.

To fix it, press 'e' when the initial grub2 screen appears after booting from the usb or cd.

Then look for 'quiet splash' in the linux line of the command, and replace it by 'nomodeset'.

Finally, press F10 to boot, and you should see it booting in text mode (no fancy ubuntu splash screen). Everything should be normal from there, and you can try ubuntu or install it.

7. Ala Hu

Try downloading ubuntu 12.04 and install it using wubi windows installer, then upgrade to 13.04 this way you don't have to boot from a disk. you can install it like a windows program.

to do this you can burn ubuntu 12.04 to a dvd, put it into your windows computer and when the 'autostart' menu comes up then click on run wubi. then reboot your computer and in the win8 os selection screen click on ubuntu, when it's booted up you open the update manager, and click on upgrade.

(scource: experience)

8. Gaurav Joshi

try rufus it is best usb boot utility http://rufus.akeo.ie/

9. Md Mukhtar Mohsin

It will be better to use a stable version of ubuntu 12.04 alongside windows 8..
    I have done it on my personal desktop and it's easy, here's a link to install ubuntu 12.04 along windows 8.-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LokDqte3sA4

10. Sam

I had the same problem with Ubuntu 13.04 and Lili (Linux Live USB). You'll need to use a different program to create a live usb.

Universal usb installer has been suggested: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

• Pooky Joralyn

Guess something's wrong with UEFI. Simply burned that same ISO file to a blank DVD and worked like a charm. I even tried Fedora 18's ISO file and get the same result.

11. Chinmay Sarupria
  12. yudics

maybe your ubuntu installer is not stable version, you can try another version of ubuntu

• Pooky Joralyn

maybe the flash drive or UEFI is the real culprit. Tried Fedora 18 with the same result.

• Fuad Rony

really

create a usb installer using linuxlive usb creator or universal usb creator. Boot from the usb and install ubuntu in any of your empty drive.

• Pooky Joralyn

Tried universal usb creator, didn't work.

• Junil Maharjan

get the latest version of universal usb installer here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ this supports ubuntu 13.04

• Pooky Joralyn

I tried that version.

• Marcelo Velazquez

You can try using the Unlisted ISO on universal usb installer. It worked for me to dual boot Windows 8 Pro / Ubuntu 12.10

14. Scott M

I hadn't any problem installing Ubuntu along side Windows XP.I just installed the disk and when I boot up and use F8 I'm given the option of which one to use.Maybe Windows 8 has something built in to stop the option.I'd try installing the Ubuntu and press F8 on boot and see if that gives you the choice.

• Pooky Joralyn

I mean I get a black screen right after selecting flash drive from boot list.

Create a partition and then use the Ubuntu installer to install ubuntu in the new partition. Check this : http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/wubi-advice

• Manuth Chek

I mean I can't even boot from flash drive!

You need to disable the UEFI Secure Boot (Microsoft's "it's our computer, not yours" stranglehold) option.

• Manuth Chek

I already disabled it before I installed Win8. Is there any problem with pendrivelinux (which I used to burn the ISO to flash drive)?

• Manuth Chek

Or maybe it's the problem with file system on my flash drive (I formatted it to NTFS a long time ago and didn't check it)?