How can I install and configure the Google Play store on a device that doesn’t have it by default?

DrSunil Vaswani May 8, 2013

How to install and configure “Android Play store” on a device in which it is unavailable by default?  The profile of device in question is at http://www.fonearena.com/hcl-me-am7-a1_1663.html

1. Emmanuel

Pls folks, can you help me out with my HTC my touchslide 3g. Mine does not have google store app by default too. I keep seeing error message "you have not accessed the Google play app (the white shopping bag app icon) on your device with this account" anytime I want to download an app. Pls help.

Sunil,

I just found an article, which should certainly help you install Google Play specifically for your Tablet model. Give it a try. Should work.

http://androidtweak.in/rooting/install-android-market-in-hcl-me-series-tablets-x1-ae7-a1-and-am7-a1/

Also see the postings below it on how to get the drivers for Windows, as someone has posted the video, and if you get stuck, you can ask question in the post to Crespo. I hope this helps.

perhaps this can help
    HOW TO INSTALL ANDROID MARKET ON HCL ME X1 [ NO ROOT REQUIRED
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89dzgHeMVZc

• DrSunil Vaswani

It mentions same procedure of earlier respondent in this question

4. Sunil

Files do get downloaded , unzipped and installed but

First file says File not installed and I other files in orderosed

Thereafter google play store says "closed unexpectedly"
    even though gmail account signed in

Maybe older zip components would work as in your friend's tab

My Android version is GB and no further update is available

Ok then uninstall the recent APKs and try with the older ones. The link is already provided to you. But again for your benefit : http://www.computric.com/2012/04/installing-google-play-without-rooting/

• DrSunil Vaswani

Correction in my post : Files do get downloaded , unzipped and installed but
      First file says File not installed and other files got installed in order mentioned in your post

Thereafter google play store says “closed unexpectedly”
      even though gmail account signed in

Maybe older zip components would work as in your friend’s tab

My Android version is GB ( Gingerbread ) and no further update is available

How did you get zip with other files containing newest version?
      Have the new version zip worked with verified user?

I have myself compiled the newest version, still untested though, however the logic remains the same and should work.

We have lot of similar low cost Android tablets in which the manufacturers do not give access to Google Play. My friend brought one such tablet from HCL (a Indian brand) known as the HCL ME U1 tablet. We successfully installed and accessed the android marketplace on it without doing any rooting or custom ROM stuff or anything so the warranty on the device is intact. You can give it a shot. First search Google and download these APK files :
    1. GoogleServicesFramework-signed
    2. OneTimeInitializer-signed
    3. SetupWizard-signed
    4. com.android.vending-3.1.3-signed (For this last one you can try the latest Google Play Store APK file, though I haven’t tried it myself, so not sure if it will work or not, the one suggested here is a old version, which has been tested and tried and works)
    Once you have done that, go to your tablet setting and enable Unknown sources under security. Now tap and install the four APKs mentioned above in the exact sequence mentioned (this is very important and need to be followed). Once you have installed the four APKs, un-tick the Unknown Sources option under security in Settings and then reboot your tablet. The start-up process will take much more time now (in some cases upto 45 minutes) and once it is completed, a small window will come-up with the option of a launcher and setup wizard. First tick the below dialogue which says always use this as default and then select the launcher. Now you should find the android market icon in the app drawer or work-space. Enable your internet connection and tap it. First I will ask you for a Google Account. If you already have a GMail account, select existing or otherwise select new to create one. Once you have finished this step, you should logically have an access to the Google Play Store.
    Kindly give a feedback of how did it go. This at-least worked for my friend’s tablet and he is a very happy man now.
    The link I referenced alongwith the download link of the APK files will be found here : http://www.computric.com/2012/04/installing-google-play-without-rooting/ .

If it does not work for you, kindly refer to the link for further advice that is given in the forum below the article.

Sunil, I have updated the APK files to the latest version of Google Play Store and uploaded it for you as follows :
      1. GoogleServicesFramework-signed
      2. OneTimeInitializer-signed
      3. SetupWizard-signed
      4. com.android.vending-4.0.27.apk

Follows the above instructions of how to install but use these APK files instead of the above outdated ones. Download the following updated APK files from here : http://www.mediafire.com/?p20kz73ypzv8kmk

• DrSunil Vaswani

Thanks for so much detailed effort and time and interest to this question

I tried the new or updated files to install

But on trying to install from number one file onwarde I got error "Sorry, unable to open application" ( The file was unzipped to Eks File explorer app )

I am also using HCL tab ( Am 7A 1 ) for which this question was posted

May be the older version zip would work to install market

Can you tell on which Android version of your friend's tab had you installed and when?

The tab which I am using is 2.3.3

His is Android ICS 4.0.4 on the HCL ME U1 tablet. What I suggest is remove all the APK from the phone. Now uninstall the APK in your computer and then via USB copy it in a folder on the phone. Before that on the phone settings enable unknown sources under security. Now from the phone folder where you have copied the APK, tap and execute them sequentially the order I have mentioned. Now restart the phone.

Also officially update the tablet to whatever the latest official version of android is available for it, probably a 2.3.6 or a 2.3.7, or a honeycomb or or ICS, I dunno which is the latest official update for it.

But on trying to install from number one file onwarde I got error “Sorry, unable to open application” ( The file was unzipped to Eks File explorer app )

Maybe you are using android itself to unzip. Use your Windows computer to unzip and then copy the apk files to a folder in your Android phone via the USB

It is around November last year that we have installed it.

• DrSunil Vaswani

On installing the first File - Google Services Framework the installation process first asks this is a system app , do you replace it? All user data would be deleted. on completing installation of this file the result displays - app not installed

Still you should go ahead and install it. It actually shows, that the Google Framework maybe already installed in your Tablet. If it prompts to replace, say in affirmative. By user data, it meant the Google Play data, like download history, purchase history, etc of Google Play. Go ahead and give it a shot probably. :) Funny, when we did it, we never got any such messages.

• DrSunil Vaswani

Thanks Rajaa for your efforts

Your efforts paid rich dividends

I could install Market

I used older version zip file and unzipped using Think-Free Office app

Then installed in order mentioned with allow non-market option enabled in settings - Applications

Though the First file ( Google Services... ) posed the dialog box as mentioned. I continued and even though it said app not installed I continued with remaining files in order

Then I switched off and switched on , then choose Launcher between Me and Launcher on booting. Then signed into Google accound and market worked with apps being able to install and use

Regards,
      Sunil

:D Great News!!! Enjoy Google Play now on your Tablet, I guess the device gets a new lease of life. Kindly mark the question as resolved. :)

• DrSunil Vaswani

Hullo. I have marked your answer as best because of your sincerity and effort to resolve.

But other respondents did contribute to complete the resolution of technical process