How can I install apps to my phone’s SD card?
Question by Carla Hornback /

I have an LG Thunderbird (was called an Optimus) and it has limited internal storage. I know there are apps to clean the internal cache/memory but the stock apps are unmovable and when I try to download, I often get an error message ‘not enough space’. Therefore I can’t transfer apps that are large to my SD card. Is there an app that directly adds to SD and bypasses the internal memory?

• Elia Elias

You have to find a tool to expand your internal storage by repartitioning the SD card and using part of it as system partition, also you can remove the bloat ware (preloaded software) that you don’t want but this will require rooting and then using titanium backup.

if you root and use titanium backup you can convert some system apps to user apps through the options in titanium which will allow you to move them to the SD card, although this is not recommended for LG installed apps because it will render the device unstable and unusable but you can move the maps, street view, gmail and other of the google native apps without worry.

Head over to XDA-Developers and you will find all you need.

Only those apps will get moved which are supported by the developer itself as forcibly moving an app can sometimes cause performance degradation and some apps even after getting moved leave some traces behind in the internal memory.

if you go to settings and application you should see an option like manage this move the application to sd.

some apps are designed so that to be installed directly to sd card

1)widgets should not be moved to sd because they cease to work
    2)on rooted phones system applications can be deleted or moved to sd, you can use link2SD
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD
    S2E (simple2ext)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.krikun.s2e

• Alan Wade

I use apps2sd as recommended by Junil, it works really well at moving things over to your SD card.

• unhappy

apps2sd does NOT WORK!!!!! you cant do anything to factory apps unless you root your phone. this is bs. i cant download any apps from the store because theres not enough memory, its all takin up by the factory apps, which can not be deleted!! usless, can see why everybody is going with iphones. android can get f*******d!!!!!!!!

• Sas

Go to settings storage and try to find the option that lets you shift the apps you wan’t to your SD card.

• Imesh Chandrasiri

app 2 SD would do the trick.

• not happy

uhh no it wont!!!! apps2sd is crap. it will only move the apps that can be moved from the device without apps2sd anyway, soo whats the point in havng apps2sd in the first place??!! face it, android phones are crap, whats the point in havng an app store if you cant download any apps???

• Junil Maharjan

install app2sd. this will help you install apps to sd card if they can be installed in them.

• garva sharma

try apps2sdd or move2sd app