How can I import a text file with over 80 columns of raw number data into a spreadsheet?

Stefan Garrison December 7, 2012

I’m running a bank stress test and need to upload a .TXT file that has over 80 columns of raw number data (some which is not broken apart).

What is the easiest way to do this without manually having to set 80 columns in the import text wizard. I have worked hours and 1 mistake makes the entire spreadsheet useless.

1. Mihovil Pletikos

it depends a lot on how you have your data formated, is it space, tab, coma or formated in some other way....

2. Etech Etech

Try opening the file in excel (ie: file, open, and choose the text file). The import wizard has some options that might work for you.

see if this ASAP Utilities do have something interesting for you
    http://www.asap-utilities.com/download-asap-utilities.php

• Paul Pruitt

Good answer!

4. Paul Pruitt

Is the data proprietary? If not can you make it available at a URL for some of us to try to help you import the data or maybe get a better idea. Perhaps you can upload sample data to a shared hosting address so we can get an idea.

Why on earth didn't you use a spreadsheet in the first place? You have to use some form of delimiter such as a comma to seperate your numbers.

6. Chris

Can you seperate the 80 columns into differnent text files then import them one at a time into the appropriate columns? I know it seems like a lot, but it really is just mouse clicking.

7. Justin Pot

So far as I know there's not automatic way to do this. I highly recommend an intern, or a long energy-drink induced weekend. Sorry.

8. Jan Fritsch

I'm afraid you will need some common ground to properly import the file into a spreadsheet.

For example if the numbers have a fixed width e.g. 2 characters you could specify that during import (Excel) or a specific delimiter between each number.

If this is not the case and the content is in a random form I'm afraid you will have to do a lot of manual work.

9. Mahesh E.T

download gnumeric software from here. Its an alternative for exel.
    http://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/downloads.shtml

in gnumeric goto Data menu and select Get External data -> text file and import your data as u like

go to 'data' on the ribbon and click 'from text'. this way you can import your .txt file data to excel. hope this helped.

• Âdil Farôôq

i tried this but not seems to work 100%