How can I identify programs that are a threat to my computer?

Zaihan Ahmad November 10, 2012

Many viruses or threats mask themselves as an important program, which make me curious about wanting to delete them or not. They appear in Task Manager program section, which uses a name that looks important, but maybe it actually is a threat to my computer.

What can I do to know if they are dangerous and how to get rid of them? And how to find hidden virus file and how to remove them completely?

1. Md Nur-Un-Nabi Tutul

Use a reputed anti virus or internet software such as bitdefender, kaspersky, panda, avast, Avg etc....& u can also use iobit malware as well ...u can download trail version if u don't want to buy one....anyways to keep your pc secure u need a system security....

2. Rakesh Mishra

u can use best liscence antivirus such as bitdefender , etc

3. Daniel Ooi

You should always avoid clicking / download programs that you do not use. Microsoft Security Essential is a good tool for detecting virus.

4. dhanunjayarao chunduri

try anvir task manager

5. Terafall

Usually I upload those files to

6. Boni Oloff

Install antivirus, nothing you can do without it.

7. Aniket Singh

simple use a good anti virus anti virus are important

• Aniket Singh

i mean no virus are important....u can remove it...and avoid using lot of software which is have no use

8. Dimal Chandrasiri

if you are not technical enough of figuring what is important, and what is not, you want be asking the question here! :) ( NO offence ) but I would recommend you not to mess with the programs if you are not certain what they do. some tasks that run in the background are actually drivers which allow hardware to function as expected. if you mess something with one of them you'll probably have to install that driver again! worst case scenario you'll have to install windows all over again! use a good security software and monitor the usage of suspicious software! do a google search about the file that makes you worry! if it's bad, use an uninstaller like revo uninstaller to uninstall! this will be clean and if you've done anything wrong you will be able you restore back easily!

9. Saikat Basu

Also, check processes running via your Task Manager. You can use a program like Process Hacker [] or similar programs which can identify all processes in a non-geeky way. You can use a site like -

Check out these links for more information:

Is there any way to determine which program is running a given process in the Windows task manager? []

10. Drew Butler

Both answers above are correct IMO. If your system has a bunch of suspicious files/activity it may behoove you to backup important data on an external drive> format and re-install your computer>download a good AV/AM program> connect external and perform a complete scan of the drive before copying saved data back onto C:\.

In the future be mindful of your gut instinct and do a quick google search of ratings and experiences with programs before you download them; also beware of downloading programs from anywhere other than the website of the program developer. In my experience search engines aren't your friends when it comes to download links, often a link that seems legit isn't and won't be discovered by the search engine for days (In the beginning of 2012 a few of the top links on Bing for Skype and utorrent were malicious and gave a lot of people problems before the issue was discovered. It was a week or so before this was discovered if my memory serves me correctly) Anyways... good luck :)

• Drew Butler

After posting that comment I thought I should put a link to support it. I always end up looking up stuff that others post for verification so here it is. BTW this isnt the exact incident but it does support what I was saying and was one of the first links after searching the sentence "top links on Bing for Skype and utorrent were malicious"... anyways here is the link for those inquisitive types

With this I'm out for the night. gonna go smoke a few cigs and watch the storm roll in. _\\// live long and prosper LMAO

Install ccleaner and malwarebytes.Run Ccleaner to get rid of junk files and clean the registry. Do a quick scan with Malwarebytes. If it finds any malicious software have it deleate the malware. Turn off system protection and reboot into safe mode. Run a full scan with malwarebytes and deleate anything it finds. Reboot and turn system protection back on.

12. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Please refrain from doing that manually if you don't have necessary knowledge to do it. It can be disastrous. But if you know what you're doing (I assume you do, since you said you're a computer science major) then you can Google service names that sound suspicious to you, or turning off 'hide protected system files' so you can see everything in your computer. First try your antivirus or antimalware. Once you've identified what kind of threat is attacking your machine, search in the internet for the list of files and registry connected with the threat. Boot into safe mode and clean your system from there.
    There are advanced virus which will run from when you start the OS so scanning at boot will be required.
    Works for me everytime.

try anvir task manager
    you can have valuable information

show hidden files
    boot to safe mode and do scan there with couple of security tools.

if you find a file suspicious
    1) scan it with your antivirus
    2) upload it to virustotal and scan it there

you can also boot windows in Clean Boot Mode
    then one by one enable other process and see if they do weird things