How can I hide data on an external hard drive?
Question by Vivek Nath R /

Any way to hide data on an external hard disk when it is connect to another system?

• xbalesx

Only one tru solution here and that is Truecrypt. It is one of the best, if not the best “hiding” tool.

Hello, are the file/files you trying to hide really big? You could also try using steganography, where you hide data in pictures. The following are some stego software you could use:

• Laga Mahesa

Oron already mentioned this, but it needs to be restated as a warning. If the data is important/sensitive, do NOT rely on attribute changers. Simply checking a box in folder options nullifies that method.

On every install of Windows I’ve ever had, I have immediately set Explorer to “Show all files”. Force of habit, I don’t like knowing there are hidden files scattered around that I’m unaware of.

• Alan Wade

Open a Command Prompt Window by clicking Start->Run->cmd

Navigate to the location where your folder(the one you want to hide) is.

To hide your folder, type:

attrib +h +s foldername

To Un-hide your folder, type:

attrib -h -s foldername

You will not see or be able to search for the folder even if you have Show Hidden Files checked.

• Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

here try this software..

what u need to do is check at radio button at system n hidden then the file or folder will be hidden at all computer since the folder option always enable hide system file n operating system file. to geain acces back if u use win xp just go my computer – view – folder option – view tab – uncheck at hide protected operating system files[recomended] – show hidden files and folder – apply – okay. same in all win just find folder option n follow the resr

• Laga Mahesa

A good and highly secure option is to use the free utility TrueCrypt (, which allows you to create a ‘fake’, encrypted hard drive within your hard drive. It provides a number of ways for you to do this, from hiding a partition to creating a ‘soft’ hard drive in the form of a large, randomly named file, hidden somewhere in a random folder.

Just don’t forget the password. :p

• Oron

Here are two possible approaches:
    1. Mark the folder as hidden using Windows’ own “hidden” attribute. This will only work if the PC is configured NOT to show hidden files…
    2. Use a folder hiding program such as “Free Hide Folder” from

• Laga Mahesa

#2 wouldn’t work on another system, surely?

• Oron

Erm, you’re right! My bad.
      However, there are portable equivalents such as WinMend and Folder Lock 7. Security is provided by encrypting the folder with a password.