How can I get Windows 8 and 7 to transfer files using a LAN cable?

sakthi vel May 24, 2013

I want to transfer data from one laptop to another. One is running Windows 8 and another one is on Windows 7. When I connect them through a LAN cable it doesn’t show anything, even though I changed all the adapter settings in Network and Sharing Center.

How can I get Windows 8 and 7 to talk to each other using a LAN cable?

1. Manuth Chek

I successfully tried this on my work computer (Win 7) and my laptop (Win 8).
    1. Put everything you want to share on a single folder.
    2. Right-click that folder > Properties
    3. Select "Sharing" tab > "Advanced settings"
    4. Tick "Share this folder" and type the name you want below.
    5. This step is optional. If you want the client to be able to modify (add or remove content) this folder, click "Permissions", and tick "full control" below.
    6. Click OK and Close.
    7. Get the host's IP address by opening Command prompt (Win+R, type "cmd") and type "ipconfig". If you use LAN, look for it in the "Ethernet" section. You can skip this step if you already know the IP address.
    8. On the client's side, press Win+R and type: \[IP address]. So if the IP is 192.168.1.138, type "\192.168.1.138" (without quote) and you'll see the shared folder.

thanks for your input

2. Rajdeepak Singh

win+r and type "\"followed by your pc name

3. Rajdeepak Singh

in step 12 type \(your win 7 pc network name) not type (your win 7 pc network name)

• sakthi vel

What to do in step 12? I cant understand

4. Rajdeepak Singh

1 First use a cross over cable and connect both machines.
    2 In win 7 go to sharing center and "chose home group and sharing options"
    3 The chose change advanced sharing settings.
    4 select the setting which has "(current profile)"
    5 select a)network discovery on.
    b)turn on file and printer sharing.
    c)turn on password protected sharing.
    6 now save changes and goto desktop.
    7 create a folder any were except at root of system drive e.g C: or select the folder you want to share.
    8 On the explorer bar you will see "share with " option click it and select specific people.
    9 from the drop down menu select everyone and add it and give it read/write permission and click share .It will display the network link to folder copy it.
    10 in your win 8 pc disconnect any other network eg, wireless network,internet connection etc.
    11 press win+x and select run
    12 in run type or paste the link of the folder and press enter or your type \(your win 7 pc network name).Find it out by right click your my computer and goto its properties.
    13 when asked for credentials use your win 7 user account login and you have read write access to folder in win 7 pc.You can use same method to create win 8.
    Note you cannot share windows system folders in any win 7 or 8 pc.

5. dragonmouth

If you are connecting the laptops directly to each other you need to use a "cross-over" cable, not a "patch" cable.

• Degenerated S

yeah you right
      or rather use a router

• Degenerated S

you may use a router ....the most simple solution

• dragonmouth

if you have a router, it is a better solution

perhaps sharing permission? give it to Everyone