How can I get Windows 7 to show and format my new SATA drive?

Jim A July 18, 2013

I replaced the second hard drive on my desktop with a new 1TB SATA hard drive. Windows 7 still sees the old IDE drive instead of the new SATA. BIOS shows the primary SATA and the new SATA.

How can I get Windows 7 to show and format the new drive?

Similar question was posted in Makeuseof Answers and it did solved the problem.See the first part of the answer by visiting the link below -

Why does Windows 7 not recognize my new hard drive?

2. Andrea G

The drive will not show up in Windows until it is partitioned and formatted. To do that you can use Disk Manager (located in control panel - administrative tools - computer manager) or any other partitioning application. I personally use the free edition of Paragon Partition Manager (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/).

Still, it is not clear to me how you can see the old disk if it is no longer physically attached to the PC.

go to device manager locate the old hard drive then right click on it choose un-install then reboot