How can I get the previous owner’s name off an Acer I bought?

Evy Schaeffer March 27, 2013

I just bought a used Acer and I can’t get the previous owner’s name off as admin. What to do?

Some of my picture files are also locked up and a window pops up saying “you do not have permission from the administrator”.

I have already changed everything and put a password on there, but every time I try to open those pix files, I still get her name as admin and denied access.

1. Joel Thomas

Go to control panel then user accounts
    then change the user account of hers to a standarad one

2. prashanth singh rathore

: start>control panel>users accounts>manage user accounts

best course of action is to follow Alan's advice and rebuild the machine. You'll get to set it up as you want it, with exactly the options you want (user name etc) and without anything you do not want.

4. yuitre_

Follow Alan's advice. Nasty leftover data aside, there's a chance of a keylogger or trojan lying around.

If you have the previous owner still on your computer, have you thought about wiping the hard drive and installing a fresh copy of Windows?

• Shayne Selwonk

Alan advice is the first thing You need to do when you buy used computer Wipe the Hard drive check & clean the components (like fan etc.) the install the operating system you want to use (windows etc.)

6. Chadi El Haj

This registration information is displayed under Registered to in the General tab of System when you click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

THEN:
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion
    To change the company name, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
    To change the name of the registered owner, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
    Click Exit on the File menu to quit Registry Editor.
    Back up your registry before doing this last step. Hope this helps you. Make it a great day!

How to Delete an Administrator on a Used PC
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5471311_delete-administrator-used-pc.html

Enable and Disable the Built-in Administrator Account
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766343(v=ws.10).aspx

1) Open Run and type CMD and press enter
    2) type: net user administrator /active:no
    Built-in Administrator account is disabled

8. Donald Schultz

Try this: start>control panel>users accounts>manage user accounts
    Once there see double click on her name and change her account to "standard user".
    That is about the only way I know how to do it. You have a default admin account on there and I know you cannot delete that one. If all else fails I would say to a clean install. Good luck.