How can I get reception on my non-data AT&T cell phone?

Kelly Sharp December 12, 2012

My fiance & I have AT&T cell phones with calling and texting only and we live in a AT&T dead zone. I just heard about Cisco 3G MicroCell, but we can’t use it because we have satellite internet and it’s not compatible.

Are there any other options to boost our reception? I don’t care so much about being able to talk on the cell phone while at home BUT I want to be able to text in real time.

I recently purchased an LG Xpression. Any help would be appreciated since I have 4 days left in which to take the phone back and terminate the 2 year contract.

Thank you, Kelly

1. Amit Sinha

Hello Kelly
    Cisco 3G MicroCell works only with 3G(no EDGE) and must have data plan too to go with it. Its works on Wifi and make the network stronger and you can sent text in real time and make calls without drops.

The only reason you’d want an amplified 3G connection is if, say, you send a ton of MMS messages, because AT&T won’t let you do that over Wi-Fi. And even then, I can tell you the time it takes to send an MMS with the help of a MicroCell is hardly impressive. It still takes roughly 45 seconds for me to send an MMS of a photo snapped with iPhone 3GS. (I would give you a comparison number with the MicroCell turned off, but I can’t, because I can’t send an MMS at all when the device is not turned on in my home.)

I would suggest that if any other network operator is available to you place, select that one, using other device to increase the reception lets you to somehow dependent on it.

• Kelly Sharp

Thank you for your reply.
      I'm on my mother's Verizon plan and have no problems receiving and sending texts (calls are spotty but that doesn't matter so much) but she's leaving Verizon in March so I added to my fiance's AT&T plan. My son & his wife have been on my fiance's plan for a year already and they have no problems since they live in town, we live 8 miles out.
      Mark had to sign for another 2 year contract with my phone as well as the fact we added the $30 p/mth talk/text option which is a total rip off since only one of the three phones gets any use.
      I'll be taking it back today and gladly pay their $35 restocking fee, which will also cancel the 2 year contract and I will be getting everyone switched to Verizon...
      I hope you don't have to put up with it much longer yourself.
      Thanks again :)