How can I get my old Hotmail account back?

Phil Denley November 19, 2012

I have been upgraded to an Outlook account and I want my old Hotmail account back please.

1. Brett

I still use an older Hotmail Seven app (version 7.8.2.8.46.6837) and it works fine. No forced update to Outlook and notifications etc work fine.

2. Shamsharizat Shamsudin

I also have the same problem. Microsoft says that my account can't be use with Outlook.com since it's an old account. I am so worried that I can't get access to it anymore. Hope someone can help me out. Thank you.

3. sahro

This Outlook is clumsy, ugly, dumbed down to the point parts do not work well. I just want to have my old hotmail. this is better compare to outlook. I don't know why they removed swich part.means if someone doesn't like outlook,they can't go back hotmail. I just wanna have hotmail not this ugly one.

The moderators of Hotmail support site has been telling users that there is no way to go back.

4. James Hovey

i would very much like to retrieve my old hotmail account . at present my account is
    outlook , just changed over a few days ago , much prefer my other hotmail acount
    tks

Microsoft recently started upgrading users to Outlook in phase wise manner.So,you can't get back to Hotmail.

5. Ojongobi Daniel Ncha

My Account is block for monre than one month now I can't access my mails why.

6. idriz peca

i need new security code plz

7. Avril Ashdown

i HAVE BEEN TRYING TO RETRIEVE ALL MY EMAILS AND CONTACTS FOR THE PAST WEEK BUT MICROSOFT WILL NOT LET ME ACCESS THEM AT ALL AND ARE TELLING ME MY OLD HOTMAIL EMAIL ADDRESS AND PASSWORD ARE NOT VALID. MY EMAILS I NEED TO OPEN AS THERE IS SOME VERY URGENT MEDICAL DETAILS ON THERE AND ALSO THEY HAVE TAKEN AWAY ALL MY CONTACTS. I THINK THIS IS TERRIBLE AND YOU SHOULD STILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS ALL YOUIR PERSONAL DETAILS ETC. CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE AS TO WHAT I CAN DO ,,,,HELP

8. samer

i forgot the secret question too

9. samer

i cant access my hotmail account its been hacked or blocked and its very important to get it back please help

Firstly,try the below recovery link and then see whether your account has recovered or not -

https://account.live.com/acsr

10. Jordyn Bushaw

Actually, go to outlook.com and sign in, then at the top of the page click the gear and select "switch back to hotmail"

11. Jordyn Bushaw

You cannot do this, the Outlook account is Microsoft's "new generation" online mail service.

12. Cathy Lawson

DON'T LIKE THE OUTLOOK, HOW CAN i GET MY OLD HOTMAIL BACK???

13. deeq

i wanna getback my old hotmail acounty

14. Nicki G

I haven't used my hotmail account in 10+ years and do not remember the account info, but in order to retrieve another password I have to have my hotmail account that I used as an alternate emal address... how would I go about finding that?

It would be possible that your 10+years old account has been deleted by Microsoft as they don't keep inactive accounts for such a long period of time.

• soliman

i cant log in my account for past one year and was use it for more than 10 years so any help. and i can log with it in facebook

You can try to recover your account by following the recovery link below -

https://account.live.com/acsr

You need to provide the details it asks so that it would be helpful to recover your account.

15. Mohammad

I have trying t get into my hotmail account, but I recently recive the followingmassage: "It looks like someone else might be using your account". I tried to follow the help instructions but it does not work so far. can you help me please to get in back again?

Did the above solutions were helpful to you and did you tried it?

16. Marie Carmelle Millien

Someone told me that I can recover my hotmail account. If yes how to do so

If you visit the link below and provide your details,then Microsoft contacts you to your information of contact that you provide i.e. sends you recovery code to recover your account -

https://account.live.com/acsr

17. khaalid sulub

my old hotmail is blocked , i do not have code.plz help me?

18. Rabia Saleem

When i try to log in into my Hotmail account for access i received an error like that Microsoft Account does not exist. but i have my email address and i am using it last 12 years.
    kindly provide me any suitable solution for recover my Hotmail account.

Thank you,

Try the link below -

https://account.live.com/acsr

If this doesn't solves your issue,there might be attack on your account and the hacker might had deleted your account.Possible reason could be that you didn't accessed your account for very long time so Microsoft might had deleted your account.

19. Eamon Mc Parland

ive been upgraded to an outlook account and want my old hotmail account back please.

20. waseem ahmad

Do not like this new outlook.. How do I get back hotmail. Still have my old email account. Did not change anything just when I go to sign in to hotmail, Outlook comes up…HELP ANYONE!!!

21. Kenneth Thomas Stannage

Cannot access my hotmail account, forgot password and been abroad for four months and have no answers to the questionnaire they are asking.

22. Gustavo Costa

Did you mean the old appearance?

1) Enter in Hotmail site (it still works), write your username + hotmail and your password;
    2) Go to Settings (icon of "gear")
    3) click in "Return to Hotmail"

Your appearance will be inverted. Be happy with the old appearance and enjoy it. I think the Outlook's new appearance ugly and awful. I was very confused with the MSN chat.

• nancy

MY EMAIL IS STILL HOTMAIL. THAT NEVER CHANGED. BUT MY WHOLE EMAIL IS OUTLOOK. I WAS NEVER, EVER, GIVEN THE OPTION TO EVEN TRY OUT OUTLOOK, CAUSE I DON'T LIKE OUTLOOK. I WENT TO THAT * AT THE TOP RIGHT. RIGHT CLICKED ON IT, AND THERE WAS NO OPTION TO RETURN BACK TO HOTMAIL. AFTER 15 YRS OF HOTMAIL AND LOVING IT, I'M REALLY THINKING OF CHANGING MY EMAIL TO SOMETHING ELSE.

• warlock

Use Left click rather than right click on that Gear icon....

• anita

I tried this today, and there is no option to switch back. Is it gone or am I doing something wrong?

No,now Outlook has been made permanent.You cannot switch back.

23. Douglas Mutay

Your primary hotmail account is still there. Simply log in to your hotmail (our Outlook.com) . It will take you to the new outlook appearance. Go to setting (little 'Gear' next to your name, top left of your screen) and select "return to Hotmail". It will revert to your old hotmail setting.

• Tony

Thank you for the help

• Douglas Mutay

You're most welcome!

• JANIS

YES! Thank you very much, DOUGLAS. I instantly hated the change hehe.

• michelle

my teenager who knows everything more than me about computers is very upset that his hotmail account disappeared and is now outlook. he said the ads are a horrible distraction unlike hotmail with no ads was.
      with a disability the ads are very distracting and annoying making email accounts difficult with all the extra activity on the screen. hotmail was good. why change a good thing. he is now researching what other email he can find that does not have ads on the screen, which means he will no longer be able to receive his emails attached to accounts he uses without redoing everything with a new email address for all of his accounts that he currently uses. there should be some sort of allowance for people who just cannot handle the horrid change. i myself deleted outlook from my computer as it is confusing and stole all of my emails right from the aol email box and downloaded them all to my computer. what good are they there when i use my email by phone right? no email was going to my phone just my computer. so no more outlook for me. it was a nightmare to set up. it was a nightmare even to get back to outlook and find my emails and even more so to try and figure out how to delete it. so glad it is gone. aol does have ads, spam, and hackers right into my emails, but it is better than outlook as at least it is very simple and easy to work. except for the hacker part. that is still a mystery to me as to why anyone would bother.

• Sebastian

Have tried what you said in changing Outlook to Hot Mail, but mine does not have to make change over, any other suggest ?

Outlook is the mail which is going to stay and Hotmail has been removed completely.So,it's better to find alternatives if not happy.

• maya

It doesn't give me the option to change back to my old hotmail

Hotmail is gone and will never come back.You have to use Outlook or find alternatives.

Outlook.com – Don’t change your primary email address and how to revert back if you already did
    Now what if you already changed your primary email to outlook.com, here is what you will do to get it back(it works for hotmail.com/.co.uk/live.com addresses but doesnt give you option of @msn.com etc). I have to add note here that its scary as hell and do it at your own risk.

i. If you have an old hotmail.com account and you are in uk or other country, at the page of id change it will give you only options for that country so if you are in uk it will give you option to revert back to yourname@hotmail.co.uk and not hotmail.com, so to get that go to edit personal setting of your account and change the country to US. Verify if you get your hotmail.com/live.com option by going to http://mail.live.com/?rru=renameaccount If its there close the page.

ii. Now If you changed your primary email address to outlook.com, your old email will be now an alias and any email sent to it will still be delivered to your inbox, so first you will have to remove that alias by going to

https://account.live.com/ManageAssocIds

iii. Then, you will go to following to change your email address back to yourname@hotmail.com

http://mail.live.com/?rru=renameaccount

iv. Once, you are back to your old hotmail account, your outlook.com alias will be now added to your account and any emails to that email address will still be delivered to your email inbox or any other folder you choose. This means you have also reserved your email address at outlook.com for yourself.
    http://www.xerunetworks.com/2012/08/outlook-com-dont-change-your-primary-email-address-and-how-to-revert-back-if-you-already-did/