How can I get MakeUseOf newsletters to show the punctuation intended by the authors?

David R November 10, 2013

Newsletters from MakeUseOf often show several elaborate symbols in place of the intended punctuation. For example, “it’s” appears as ” it’s.” I find this is true with all of my browsers, Firefox, Explorer and Safari. This is a minor, but annoying, problem. Are there corrections that I can make? Thanks.

1. David R

Aibek, thanks for fixing this. It was a tiny inconvenience that never damped my enjoyment of the excellent and informative MakeUseOf articles.

• Susendeep D

David,

I'm glad that now everyone can now get better experience of Newsletters.

I request you to kindly mark your question as resolved.
      You can do this by clicking on the tick icon you can see on the right side of a comment.Choose the best comment.

• David R

Susendeep,
      I would be happy to mark this "resolved", but I can't find the "tick icon . . . on the right side." (My antique computer often fails to have what I need!) Can you mark it for me? Thanks!

2. Aibek E

Hey David,

Thanks for letting us know.

We did address this sometime in the past but I am guessing that we missed some of the characters. The issues is primarily caused by various text editors used by our wide range of authors. Some prefer to write directly in WordPress, others use text editors like Word. Most of those text editors treat custom characters like dashes and quotes differently which cause problems when saved to Worpdress.

Are you referring to daily newsletter highlighting one of the articles for the day or a roundup-up list from the day before? There is also a chance that this might be caused by our newsletter editor. We are going to look into that.

• Susendeep D

Aibek,

These problems are on email newsletters.Even I see such things in some email newsletters.

• Aibek E

Thanks Susendeep,

Noted!
      We'll get it fixed in the coming weeks.

Aibek