How can I get high speed Internet on my laptop like I do on my desktop?

Tony Feacher April 25, 2013

How can I setup my laptop to receive a high speed signal from my Logitech N600 router? I called a third party repair site by accident, and they told me that the problem can be fixed by starting some programs that have been stopped.

The problem is that they want $139.00 and that is just wrong. They wanted to take over my laptop and turn on the features which would enable the 64mbps that I get on my desktop.

Please help me setup the laptop for high speed Internet!

1. Chris Marcoe

I am guessing that your desktop is plugged in with a ethernet cable. It is faster because of this. If you are using Wi-Fi, that will make your laptop slower. Plugging it in will speed it up. Also, how old is your laptop?

2. babu vhora

Try this:

1.Go to run
    2.type gpedit.msc and press ok
    3.under computer conifiguration click administrative templates
    4.under administrative templates click Qos pocket shedule
    5.Double click Limit Reservable Bandwith
    6.Enable Limit Reservable Bandwith and Bandwidth Limit(%) 1
    7.Apply and Restart laptop

3. Dave Rimmer

Sounds like the Desktop is connected to the router via Ethernet Cable and Laptop via WiFi, you will always get a better connection via Ethernet try to connect you Laptop this way to see if speed improves if not then it's the Laptop, you may need to reinstall the software for it.

I thought that was wierd, so I scanned the Logitech site to verify that they do not make routers, so please verify the manufacturer of the router.

Next, since it is a dual-band router, make sure you are connecting on the 5GHz channel and not the 2.4GHz channel. Throughput on the higher frequency will always be better than on the lower and there is normally much less interference (there are a ton of devices that use the 2.4GHz range). You may need to enable the 5GHz channel in the router before you computer will connect to it and if your lappy is currently set up to connect on the 2.4GHz channel, you will need to reconfigure it to use the other. Since Windows will reconnect to previously connected networks automatically, you may want to delete the connection info for the 2.4GHz channel once you have the 5GHz set up.

• Oron Joffe

Bruce makes an excellent point. Netgear and Belkin make routers with that model number (although in the case of Netgear, the model number is much longer and only ends in N600), so check again.
      Secondly, as others point out, when you are comparing your laptop to the desktop, you need to tell us something about the connection - are they both connected via WiFi or otherwise?

5. Jan Fritsch

Is your laptop connected to the router? How, by cable or by WiFi?

try browsing internet in the Safe mode with networking, to see if it is software problem, slowing internet. It can also be your antimalware slowing internet. disable firewall to see if is the source of the problem.

do a scan with your antimalware to see if laptop is not infected.

reset the TCP/IP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

there are some applications that come with laptop like Advanced Networking Service can cause some internet problems. to find out if services or applications causing this perform clean boot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

your laptop should have recovery partition you can use it to reinstall clean version of windows but do a backup of files first

First, please do not contact them again. They are mostly scams. Second, why don't you call the logitech support center and solicit their help, if the price is reasonable, at least you would know the support is authentic.

Now, do some basic checks. What is the standard the WiFi adaptor in your lappy supports alongwith the protocols. The WiFi connection speed will depend on the protocol via which it is connected and may also in turn affect your internet speed, as the bottleneck maybe the WiFi connection speed between your lappy and the router. Kindly refer to the link given for the various WiFi protocol standards and the throughput supported by them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11