How can I get a decent wired broadband connection in rural India?

Hank Ashkenazi April 4, 2013

I am looking for a Wired Broadband Connection.

The speed must be at least 4 Mb/s and UNLIMITED [80GB or more at max. speed ] After exceeding the Data Limit of 80GB or more, there must be NO additional charges…but the speed may be reduced, I don’t care.

Now, the problem is…I live in a rural area, i.e. a village. There are lots of tall trees in my neighbourhood. And…my residence is situated in a valley, literally. Imagine the letter U, my house is located right at the bottom. So, the network coverage is pretty bad. The only networks that I get reasonable coverage are Vodafone. All other networks may support voice calls, but wireless Internet cannot be accessed with max. speed. That is why I have opted out of 3G Wireless Connections. Even if I subscribe to 3G connections, I will be getting only 2G speed because they don’t have the required infrastructure.

So, anyway, I was thinking BSNL, because it provides Internet through your Landline. So there is no Network Coverage issue as with other ISPs.

But Airtel has much better Plans and I think the cost is fairly cheap (at least cheaper than BSNL). The problem is will I be fucked… because I have poor Network Coverage.

For example, If I subscribe to 2Mb/s, without proper Network Coverage, I won’t be able to yield the max benefit from my connection.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS…….I am a YouTube junkie, I wanna stream videos…at least 360p quality….[4Mb/s connection] and I download loads. So a Data Limit of less than 80GB translates to “I’m fucked”. Also, I can’t have the ISP charging extra for me violating their Fair Usage Policy…. but they may cut my speeds, that’s alright. I used Networx to monitor my usage…..and a 100GB per month will DEFINITELY make me happy…but 80GB is fine.

Please Help Me.

MakeUseOf, You Da Man!

1. null

Agree with Vaas, but for faxing I would recommend having special provider. There're plenty of them now, I use myself http://www.popfax.com - try it when you have a normal connection :)

• derick gannon

Dear Sir, Getting a broadband in rural india is currently not feasible , The Airtel broadband stories exists only within city limits not in rural areas, the BSNL line cannot provide broadband (256 Kbps or ISDN 128 Kbps) beyond 3.5 Km and 4 Km from the exchange. There are lot of urban idiots on the internet who do not understand the real conditions of rural telephone and data services. The current option is for rural wifi de regulation allowing random players to setup broadband services in rural areas and remote human settlements. Which is not quite possible because of 2G guidelines laid Asshole court(Supreme Court ) of India.

2. Vaas

Go for BSNL plans. I had similar situation in 2009. My area is almost 3-5 kms away from the main city, where none of the wired providers except BSNL provides internet at broadband speed. I opted for BSNL and since them i am happy with BSNL's performance. Currently my plan is BBG Combo ULD 1425 that gives 4 Mbps till 20 GB and 512 kbps beyond 20 GB. My monthly usage is around 25-30 GB and i get 3.7 Mbps almost throughout. Request your BSNL people to get a new wire line from pole to your phone or modem. Just go for BSNL.

3. Aditya Roy

Airtel also has landline services in most of the states/areas. So that should help you. Hathway also provides wired broadband.
    Would have been able to help you more if knew which state you in.

4. Trevor Loren

All you need is a reliable wired phone connection or 'landline' in your home. U can buy a modem from your telephone company (bsnl, airtel)

5. garva sharma

lol 360p video can sream in 512Kbps connection
    and there is no service in india which provide high bandhwith speed in rural area
    and now bsnl can give you what you want but i am not sure
    it is india not the United States
    anyway you can try this
    http://www.nxttech.org/indias-fantastic-broadband-project-that-you-should-know-about/

http://www.nxttech.org/5-things-all-broadband-users-must-know/