How can I format my external hard drive with different file formats?

Fao LaFini March 5, 2013

Can I slice my 1TB hard drive into 4 or more partitions in different file formats?

For example:
NTFS 500GB
FAT32 300GB
NTFS 100GB
NTFS 100GB

Hello, the short answer is yes, you can. Use your partition software of choice, create the partitions with the format you want and that is it.

2. K.V.D.Prasad

Yes you can, just insert your external hard disk to PC, right click on drive and click on format. Now you see a pop up in that choose file system (ntfs, fat or fat 32) what you want from the drop down menu and check the box "quick format" and hit start button in that popup box. Then after you get a warning message click "OK" button. Then after that you get format successfully message. That's it.

3. maria cater

split the hard drive firstly

then format every partition with partition wizard. ???

4. Donald Schultz

One thing I like to use to create and format partitions is Ubuntu. You can use the live cd, just boot into the system with the live Ubuntu cd, search for gparted and you can do all you want from there with excellent ease.

5. Francisco de Gusmao

first, get easus partition master (or any other partition manager, for me this is the best one) then you can erase the whole disk (this will erase all the data and meta data, leaving the file system unknown), then start creating partitions! you chose the size and the file format for each partition

First and foremost if you have a 1 TB drive then you only have 931GB of space, if you want to know how that works out take a look at my posts here:http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/how-many-bytes-are-in-one-kilobyte/
    With that out of the way you can format your partitions to whatever file format you wish.

Yes. Just pick your partitioning tool of choice, slice up the drive in whatever manner you wish and format each partition. Just remember that with MBR drives, you cannot have more than 4 partitions unless you create an extended partition to contain the additional partitions.

Yes, it's very easy to do so. Create the four partitions in "Disk Management" (part of "Computer Management"), and then format each one in the format you want.

Note however that the FAT32 partition could end up having different drive letters depending on how you access the drive. Specifically, if you are accessing it from a drive that can recognise NTFS, the the partitions will be called, say, E:, F:, G:, H:, ith G: being the FAT32 partition. If, on the other hand, you are accessing it from a system that can only read FAT32 then that will be the only partition shown and it will be given the first available letter, namely E:.

if you use a live cd partition manager, to partition your external hard drive then i believe you can accomplish what you want to do.
    http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/formatting-partitions.htm