How can I fix video upload issue on Facebook?

November 17, 2013

Upload video to FB and always get a popup saying “copyright infringement” – and I fill out form saying it’s MINE but it doesn’t go through – keeps coming up “error refresh page” – after 1 week of this popping up every day I took the video off myself. Now when I go onto FB the same popup is there and when I try to fill it out it now says “video is not yours” . I filled out a “report a problem” but didn’t receive a response so I tried to fill one out again and now it has blocked me from filling this out too!!!

1. Tim B

There's your problem - music you bought from iTunes. Just because you bought the music does not give you the right to then use it in your own projects. You'd have to pay a far higher fee to the actual copyright owners in order to use it in a video of your own.

I'd suggest replacing the music with something under a Creative Commons license. Have a look at CCMixter: http://ccmixter.org/

Also check out a recent article we ran: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/14-websites-to-find-free-creative-commons-music/

This is just the way music copyright works, and it's the same whether you're posting videos of your grandson on Facebook or editing together a multi-million dollar movie.

It was a video of my grandson and I added music that I bought from iTunes - it seems every time I upload with music this pops up and I fill it out - this time it wouldn't take. There is no way of getting in touch with FB other than filling out a "report problem" which I did - then they blocked me from doing that. I finally had to check "agree" before they would get rid of the "copyright infringement" form……..now I can't upload videos anymore.

• Mike Merritt

You didn't "BUY" music from iTunes - you paid for a limited use right which allows you to personally listen to that music. Your "rights" probably disallow you from moving the music to a different device, from "loaning" it to a friend, or from publishing it on a website, Facebook or otherwise. It is a very limited "right" that you purchased !!! You definitely didn't "BUY" unrestricted use of the tune.

You would have to work the issues out with Facebook themselves. As far as the video goes, what kind of music and/or images are used within the video? What tags and thumbnails are associated with the video for? If anything resembles copyrighted content, then the copyright infringement warnings will show up and not allow for the file to be uploaded. The way they detect copyright infringement is far from perfect, but since the U.S. government has been cracking down on copyright infringement, Facebook needed to protect themselves somehow.