How can I fix the sound on my ThinkPad T41?

Debbie Genealogy December 31, 2012

I thought my headphones had broke, since my IBM ThinkPad T41 no longer had sound. But it appears it has no sound at all. It runs Windows XP. Thanks in advance for input.

1. Tech Nech

First of all check for the sound drivers that is compatible with windows you are using. Download if there is a new version for it, uninstall the existing one and then install the new one.

2. Tech Nech
  3. Igor Rizvi?

Try reisntalling or rolling back your sound drivers... or try to huck up soem external speakers. then...

4. Brandon Ragoo

Take a drink and sum to eat if u dont like reading its a bit long :P
    First off all lets determine if this is a hardware or software issue. To determine that I will recommended booting from a Linux Live CD such as Ubuntu (I highly recommended). Once you boot up go on youtube or even try playing a song from on a cd and see if you hear the sond. Once it does that means its not a hardware issue, its a software issue. If it does not play any sound its a hardware issue.
    Hardware issue troubleshoot:
    First open your laptop and make sure all the cords are connected to your sound card and from the sound card it is connected to which other component (motherboard or speakers). If it is disconnect and reconnect then boot up laptop and see if that help just to give it a try for fun.
    If that does not work but a new sound card and replace it that should solve the problem once you replace it and connect everything just install the drivers required.

Software issue:
    Software issue I recommended you check device manager and see what the problem states and then Google that as I dont have the computer to know what it says.
    The other mrthod will be to uninstall audio drivers and then reinstall then see if that helps and let me know

check this one No sound in Windows: Step 2: Use a troubleshooter
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/no-sound-in-windows

Hello, there are a few things you could try. First, open your device manager:

-- click on start
    -- control panel
    -- performance and maintenance
    -- system
    -- click on hardware tab
    -- click on device manager
    -- expand the sound, audio video controllers by pressing the + sign
    -- does the sound entry appear? is there a warning right next to it?

While you are in device manager, you could try rolling back the driver to see if that fixes your issue. If that does not fix the issue, visit the ibm website and get the sound driver for your model. Once downloaded, make sure to install driver.

If the above does not fix it, you could try the following:

-- click on start
    -- click on run
    -- type the following: dxdiag
    -- click on the sound tab
    -- click on test direct sound
    -- if the system finds something wrong with your sound, it will give you an error number on the notes area. You can research the error or post it here so that we can assist you more.

Also make sure that your sound is not muted.

Maybe you muted the sound system. Right click on the speaker icon on task bar to check.

First re-install the sound driver as if the driver gets corrupted then this may happen. if the issue is still not resolved, then probably it will be a hardware problem and I would suggest you to take it to the servicing center.