How can I fix the search in Windows 8.1?

Nicola D October 20, 2013

Hello,

I installed Windows 8.1 but I have a small problem. When I had windows 8, when I started to search in the start screen Windows 8 began the research on my PC. But now on windows 8.1 this function does not work. But the bad thing is that on the other computers of my friends/family with windows 8.1 this function works!

What do I need to do to fix this issue? I need a clean install or just a refresh for example?

1. Nicola D

@Alfredo: thanks. I'm looking forward to the update of zemana antilogger

2. Alfredo

This is the only site where Zemana is mentioned as the root of the problems and IT'S TRUE!

Zemana will launch a fix in a couple of days!

3. Alfredo

Hi!!!
    A few minutes ago I found that Zemana antilogger was doing the same to my laptop!

I was crazy thinking about what was going on with the auto search in the Start screen, and then (after hours of research and testing) found that Zemana was the culprit.

I've contacted them to check this issue.

4. Nicola D

Update: I found the solution: the issue is produced when is open zemana antilogger that I have installed on my computer. If I close this app, the search will restart to works.

okay so zemana problem? it is little strange that zemana cause this since it is you who is using the pc, i am not familiar with this feature in zemana if it is a bug then contact zemana for a fix. Thanks for your feedback:)

Fix Windows Desktop Search when it crashes or not showing results
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_search/

• Nicola D

This tool not works on windows 8.1

1) open cmd with administrative rights
      2) Type: sfc /scannow and hit enter, wait for scan to finish
      3) type: CHKDSK /R and hit enter wait scan to finish
      4) reboot

• Nicola D

This second procedure worked correctly. But after I restarted the pc again, the search not works anymore! How it is possible this? Maybe I need to reinstall windows 8.1 to fix this issue permanently?

perhaps you have to try few times (2-3 times), without reboot then reboot pc, if the problem not solved then perhaps to refresh windows 8.1, i did not applied 8.1 to my windows 8 so did not experienced the problem.

try this also
      http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/AppsDiagnostic.diagcab