How can I fix my soundcard or get on-board sound to work again?

Garris Rago February 22, 2013

Operating system: Windwos 7 64bit
Sound card: Asus Xonar DX

So here’s my issue. I was running my system on Windows Vista for a while and recently got Windows 7. My wireless headphones stopped working and I thought they were the problem. I tried pair of cheap earphones that didn’t work at first, but I eventually got them working by plugging them into my keyboard (Logitech G110), which had some kind of sound processing in it, and plugged into the computer via USB.

At the time I did not think, but I now realise (I don’t have that keyboard, or one with an audio jack anymore) there’s something wrong with my sound card. Plugging any headphones into the jack at the front of the PC does not work, and doesn’t work at the back either (the ones that are connected to the sound card). I also tried in a slot a friend (via facetime) advised was for the onboard (I hope I’m using the right term, I mean getting sound without a sound card), which was a green jack net to blue and pink and a few other jacks. Anyway, none of this work and I have tried installing the sound card driver from disk, the latest one from online, and through Windows control panel.

I established something was clearly wrong with my sound card earlier today so for the time being I unplugged it in hopes that I would get the onboard sound as this worked when the headphones were plugged in via USB, which I believe does not access the sound card (hope I’m not chatting rubbish), and with the sound card out the headphones were not picked up in manage audio devices, in device manager I have ‘Asus Xonar DX Audio Device’ when it’s plugged in, and ‘High Definition Audio Device’ and I’ve tried enabling and disabling each in different ways and played around with settings here and there.

Sorry if this is a big chunk of text and badly explained, I would REALLY appreciate any help you guys can give, also sorry if I’m using the wrong term for the sound that not using the sound card.

OH ALSO when the sound card is unplugged (or disabled) and I right click the speaker icon on the taskbar (which has a red X on it, and you cant change volume) and go to playback devices there is nothing there, which I am told means there is no onboard sound.

Even if you can just help me to get onboard sound working I would be grateful.

install the latest driver for your sound card.

• Garris Rago

I'd allready done that, but I've got the answer now. Thanks for your input

• Garris Rago

Thanks for your comment, I tried that and unfortunately it didn't help me.

2. Nain Reyes

Try restoring your computer, or uninstall the drivers from the device manager, reboot, disconect the computer from internet (not download drivers automatically) and install from the CD or the one you download.

• Garris Rago

I've tried routes of drivers and restoring but unfortunately didn't fix. Thankyou for commenting though!

You can enable your onboard sound through the BIOS. Check under Advanced and look for AC97Audio. Once activated you will need to download or install from your Motherboard installation CD the drivers or it wont work.

THANKYOU! I was able to turn on the sound that had been disabled in BIOS. Have a good day knowing you have helped me!
      Thanks to everyone else for commenting and trying to help, I'm really greatful!

Check to see if your on-board sound has been disabled in the system BIOS.

• Garris Rago

This was it, thanks!

unplug your sound card then try this Microsoft (Use a troubleshooter) solution and see if the sound will come
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/no-sound-in-windows

• Garris Rago

I tried this and unfortunately it didn't work, thankyou for your effort though, it turned out it was disabled in the bios for whatever reason.