How can I fix my laptop battery after using the wrong charger for it?

Joseph Lartey April 11, 2013

I used a different laptop charger to try to charge my HP 2000-412NR, but it didn’t work. It showed ‘plugged in not charging’ and later on I changed it and used my charger and the battery was charging. But a day after the battery doesn’t charge, even with the charger plugged in.

1. Zivai M

This has nothing to do with the battery. It sounds like the charger you used damaged your laptop's charging circuitry. Most likely the battery charging chip, if that is the case then it needs to be repaired.

2. Usman Mubashir

I think this has something to do with the battery, do check if it charges on other laptops, if still the problem persists, you may have to buy a new one

3. Aaron Couch

If ha14's solution doesn't work, you might consider purchasing a new battery online. I've gotten several from Amazon and other online stores before that have worked great. They might not be from the OEM, but they'll also be less expensive, and likely just as good.

• Stephen Nutbrown

I would advise buying a new one, you don't want to mess with the battery of your machine.

4. yudics

try this: unplug your charger, use your laptop until the battery is empty until the laptop cannot shut on by using your battery. remove your battery and plug in again, now plug your charger but dont use your laptop untill the battery full. If the problem is still exist after you doing this trick, maybe your ic charger on your laptop had a technical problem, bring your laptop to the service center

1) Go to Device Manager
    2) Under the Batteries section right click on the Microsoft APCI-Compliant Control Method Battery and choose Uninstall (do not delete anything)
    3) Shutdown your laptop also you can remove the battery for 1 minute
    4) Replug the battery
    5)Turn on your laptop Windows should automatically recognize the new hardware and install the driver so that your battery should start charging again.