How can I fix my Dell Inspiron 1464 laptop that will no longer boot?

jyotsna sistla December 7, 2012

My laptop is two years old. Although the battery life is almost gone, it was fine. For the past two days, it was not staying on long enough. After 15 minutes, it just switched off, like the power has been cut, although it was charging at that time.

Now, it’s not booting. I’m getting a message that ‘startup repair’ needs to be done, and when I run it, the laptop switches off again.

Is it a hardware issue or a virus? Please help!

1. Rohit Pandey

please check ur RAM.....
    or boot it after using coolpad,,,,,,,

I think it's a hardware problem since your battery isn't charging. The software issues are caused by the power that got cut off but that's not a big deal. New power supplies or even a new motherboard will be necessary if it's a hardware problem the only thing is they're hard to come by and expensive so get it checked on hardware problems.

Try replacing the batteries with new one as it has history of not staying for long time.It might be the battery which is not giving you enough backup and has died eventually.

4. Âdil Farôôq

You have to reinstall the windows

boot on windows cd and choose startup repair, probably you will net to use upgrade install windows (you will need to reacivate) or do factory restore via hidden recovery partition.

or from command prompt via windows cd
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

check if you can boot in the safe mode. if you can it might be a virus but if you can't it might mean you will have to reinstall windows. you might be able to get all your files by using a linux bootable cd or usb. hope this helps.

• Douglas Mutay

I think thats the best way to proceed.

• Adam Campbell

this is what I would do

• Deimarr Callender

seems like the best method to me

7. Sashi Peiris

heck if your getting a blue screen and automatic reboot by repeated F8 press after boot screen and select cancel auto reboot on error. If blue screening, give us error code.

Check if your getting a blue screen and automatic reboot by repeated F8 press after boot screen and select cancel auto reboot on error. If blue screening, give us error code.