How can I fix my 8GB micro SD card that was read as 2 GB and is not recognized anymore?

Kandi G June 24, 2013

I have an 8GB micro SD card that keeps reading as a 2GB.

I recently inserted it into my Windows XP mini to download some pictures onto it and it started to act buggy. I shut down the computer, but popped it out before it shut down completely. I didn’t completely wait for the safely remove to pop up. Now it won’t show anything, not even that it is an 8 GB card.

I am utterly confused. I keep trying to find data on the card (videos, pics, music), but nothing is coming up! Even put it back into my phone and my Google apps that are saved to the card aren’t coming up.

What do I do? Is there some way to fix it? Will formatting help? Please help!

1. Anandu B Ajith

Try If Its Working On Linux/Ubuntu ?Format From ubuntu

2. kandi

Its showing that even though my card is slightly damaged i can see all of them via the "7 data card recovery" and "nucleus kernel digital media"

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase one or both of the programs to restore my card because some of what is on my micro sd is important

I would prefer one time fee or free or even slightly cheaper then what they are both listed at (I'm a broke college student hehe)

Are any of of these recovery tools legit? I don't want to purchase one and have it not work

3. zoniweb

If data on card are not very important, than I suggest you to use RIGHT tool for formatting SD cards: SD Formatter 3.1 for SD/SDHC/SDXC

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

It is free, btw.

4. aTechMate.com

The best thing will be to perform a low level format on the drive/card:

You can download the low-level formatting tool free from:
    http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/HDDLLF.4.30.exe

Read more about it from: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

5. Mike Henderson

The above answers are all correct, but I'm wanting to know if they card ever functioned in the capacity stated? Who is the manufacturer and is it covered by warranty? I would begin by formatting it on the device it is to be used in (camera). Are you seeing the correct amount of images for the size of the card and the resolution your camera is set for?
    If that doesn't work, you can try to format it from Windows as someone stated above. Its also possible that your computers OS and hardware can not read SD cards above the 2GB size. I wish you luck in your hunt for 6GB!

• k

thank you I just not kinda of iffy about reformatting it because I really don't want to lose all my data

It sounds like you bought a knock off unit with cheap 2GB insides masquerading as 8 GB card.

• k

no, its a Kingston mostly used for my android phone it has been working fine until now

• Jim Chambers

Knock offs will have name brands like Sandisk, Kingston, etc. printed on them like the street vendors Rolex watches and Gucci handbags. Check the Hardware Ids in Details section of the device listed in Device Manager then Google it to find maker.

7. Dany Bouffard

You can try to reformat it with the HP format tool,

8. Vennroxx

You should Scan first with proper antivirus and then format it properly at least two times.

Hope its helpful enjoy

9. Justin Pot

How old is the drive? Because if an 8 GB card reads as 2 GB, then stops working, you've probably got a hardware problem. You could try reformatting if it shows up in hardware manager, as said above, but it's like you just need a new card. Sorry about that, but luckily they've gone way down in price..

Plug the drive in and run "Computer Management" (it should be in Administrative Tools either in the Programs menu or in the Control Panel). Click on "Disk Management" in the "Storage section, and the drive should be listed there in the bottom half of the window.

If it is corrupt, it the partition will probably be shown as "Unknown", "RAW" or some such. Rght click on it and you should be able to remove the partition and recreate it, or to create a new one, and then to format it as FAT32.
    If it does not show up at all in Disk Management, check the device manager. If it is not shown there either, the card (or the reader!) is probably damaged, but if it is shown with an exclamation mark on a yellow background, or a red X over the icon, then the device driver is corrupt and you should either roll it back to a previous version or uninstall it and restart the PC and let it reinstall the driver afresh.

11. Phill Duplessis

Go to http://www.freedatarecoverysoftware.org/memory-card-data-recovery.html to download memory card recovery software.

• k

I did good news is that everything shows up on there
      bad news is demo wot let me copy it to my computer...

I was kinda relieved its there
      now im just frustrated that i can't copy it

12. Degenerated S

As suggested by ha14 check if the card shows up in device manager , then try to open it up in a linux OS .

• k

im sorry
      i am not too sure i understand

have you checked if it is shown in device manager even with a yellow sign?

• k

yes i checked and there is no yellow sign

I opened it up in the computer manager and it shows that it's status is healthy and 7.40gb fat

but when i try to right click and explore it
      it still come up as 1.89 gb

install Everything
      http://www.voidtools.com/
      see if you can find your files in the memory card, then copy paste to desktop, after that format your memory card.

• null

hi and thank you again for your input! i downloaded the " search everything" tool
      but it doesn't search any other than the "C" am i doing something wrong because it wont search the "e" drive

okay
      1) install this File Menu Tools
      http://www.lopesoft.com/en/
      then right click on your memory card and choose fileMenu tools then click on Copy Path.
      2) Open your firefox and past on the address bar
      3) see if firefox will display your files then right click and choose Save Link As