How can I fix my 500GB Western Digital hard drive?

Kalyan Limkar June 3, 2012

I have a Western Digital 500GB external hard drive. It is not working. When I connect it to my computer the light on it comes on but my computer doesn’t recognize it. The drives does not spin. How can I fix the drive and/or recover data from it?

1. rupam

i have a WD HDD 500gb and i can copy anything to it without any problem but i cant copy any large file from it to the other drives. please help ..

2. Steven Groves

I have a 500gb and it crashes the computer when it tries to open

3. Nikhil Chandak
  4. harimadhavareddy

5. romaranna21

to Kalyan Limkar:

I experienced the same problem with my WD 500GB. my disk fell 4ft high above the ground. when i connect it same result, the light went on but the drives doesnt spin anymore.

what should i tried to fix it?

6. miraf

I have WD 500 GB external hard disk but uniformly it decreases to 269 GB why? what happen? how it decrease ?

7. prakash

i am using 500gb WD HARDDISK i am hava a problem with formed hy hard disk .................when i am open my harddisk a massage came out say that harddisk must formed but cannot formet why

8. silas

My 500gb external hard drive has stop runing

9. Stephanie Guertin

If it doesn't spin (no power to the drive) try puling the drive out of the shell and hooking it up straight. You'll need a SATA cable - you can find SATA drive enclosures for about $10 on newegg.com.
    That, of course, is if it is an older style drive where the USB board and the drive are separate. For the new style drives, where it's all one piece, you'll need to take it to a data recovery company. That's going to depend on how much you need this data - data recovery is spendy. I'd recommend DriveSavers if you don't have somewhere local.

10. hamish

my wd 500gb ext hard drive tells me it has over 100gb of data in it but it shows me files empty . i recently tried to clear it altogether but have ended up here . could i have deleted something to cause this ? plain english please as i'm an idiot ! thanks .

perhaps somehow the files are hidden try this
      on "Start" -->Run-->type cmd and click on OK.
      if your hard drive as g:
      Enter this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*
      Then check if your real files will be shown

11. trinaeaaross

In the end, I had to take it out of it's case and use it as an internal HD.

12. Dave Rimmer

You can also try different usb sockets or another cable, this sometimes happens when you use the front usb sockets on the case, try thr one's on the back which are on the motherboard.

• RickH

Plugging it into the rear usb port worked for me!
      I had the same problem. PC not recognizing the drive.

• vivian

thank you! plugging it into the rear usb port did it for me, too!

try on other windows pc or other OS before going with other type of operations.

If it is not detected on any computer, you can do the same thing I did with my dad's unit last week. Open up the case and remove the hard drive from it. Then you can put it into another drive enclosure or install it internally in the computer (which is what I did with the failed unit last week).

Videos showing how to open up the casing are available on YouTube. They are not the easiest to open up, but it can be done with a bit of persistence.

15. Kyem Ghosh

what are the error messages you are getting? If it is something like these:
    “USB Device not recognized: One of the devices attached to this computer has
    malfunctioned and windows do not recognize it.” If yes then you can follow these steps:
    search for device manager in the start menu. Then click on disk drive from the list.. Right click on the usb hard disk drive you are not getting recognized and click uninstall. After the driver gets uninstalled, plug off the usb. Reconnect it again (better restart the computer and clean your registry with ccleaner and then reconnect). The driver should load automatically and the hdd would get listed in the explorer... Chk it out...

If it doesnot work then visit here support.microsoft.com/kb/2654149/

you can even use a live cd of any linux to chk if it is working in linux or not. And this would be the final process. It should work in linux if it is not corrupt (use ubuntu cz it has the best kernel set) . If it doesnot work there, you have no hope then