How can I fix my 500GB Western Digital hard drive?
Question by Kalyan Limkar /

I have a Western Digital 500GB external hard drive. It is not working. When I connect it to my computer the light on it comes on but my computer doesn’t recognize it. The drives does not spin. How can I fix the drive and/or recover data from it?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , .
Android OS Tips
Android OS Tips
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Wearable Tech
Wearable Tech

• rupam

i have a WD HDD 500gb and i can copy anything to it without any problem but i cant copy any large file from it to the other drives. please help ..

• Steven Groves

I have a 500gb and it crashes the computer when it tries to open

• harimadhavareddy

• romaranna21

to Kalyan Limkar:

I experienced the same problem with my WD 500GB. my disk fell 4ft high above the ground. when i connect it same result, the light went on but the drives doesnt spin anymore.

what should i tried to fix it?

• miraf

I have WD 500 GB external hard disk but uniformly it decreases to 269 GB why? what happen? how it decrease ?

• prakash

i am using 500gb WD HARDDISK i am hava a problem with formed hy hard disk ……………..when i am open my harddisk a massage came out say that harddisk must formed but cannot formet why

• silas

My 500gb external hard drive has stop runing

• Stephanie Guertin

If it doesn’t spin (no power to the drive) try puling the drive out of the shell and hooking it up straight. You’ll need a SATA cable – you can find SATA drive enclosures for about $10 on newegg.com.
    That, of course, is if it is an older style drive where the USB board and the drive are separate. For the new style drives, where it’s all one piece, you’ll need to take it to a data recovery company. That’s going to depend on how much you need this data – data recovery is spendy. I’d recommend DriveSavers if you don’t have somewhere local.

• hamish

my wd 500gb ext hard drive tells me it has over 100gb of data in it but it shows me files empty . i recently tried to clear it altogether but have ended up here . could i have deleted something to cause this ? plain english please as i’m an idiot ! thanks .

perhaps somehow the files are hidden try this
      on “Start” –>Run–>type cmd and click on OK.
      if your hard drive as g:
      Enter this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*
      Then check if your real files will be shown