How can I fix my 500GB Western Digital hard drive?
Question by Kalyan Limkar /

I have a Western Digital 500GB external hard drive. It is not working. When I connect it to my computer the light on it comes on but my computer doesn’t recognize it. The drives does not spin. How can I fix the drive and/or recover data from it?

• rupam

i have a WD HDD 500gb and i can copy anything to it without any problem but i cant copy any large file from it to the other drives. please help ..

• Steven Groves

I have a 500gb and it crashes the computer when it tries to open

• harimadhavareddy

• romaranna21

to Kalyan Limkar:

I experienced the same problem with my WD 500GB. my disk fell 4ft high above the ground. when i connect it same result, the light went on but the drives doesnt spin anymore.

what should i tried to fix it?

• miraf

I have WD 500 GB external hard disk but uniformly it decreases to 269 GB why? what happen? how it decrease ?

• prakash

i am using 500gb WD HARDDISK i am hava a problem with formed hy hard disk ……………..when i am open my harddisk a massage came out say that harddisk must formed but cannot formet why

• silas

My 500gb external hard drive has stop runing

• Stephanie Guertin

If it doesn’t spin (no power to the drive) try puling the drive out of the shell and hooking it up straight. You’ll need a SATA cable – you can find SATA drive enclosures for about $10 on newegg.com.
    That, of course, is if it is an older style drive where the USB board and the drive are separate. For the new style drives, where it’s all one piece, you’ll need to take it to a data recovery company. That’s going to depend on how much you need this data – data recovery is spendy. I’d recommend DriveSavers if you don’t have somewhere local.

• hamish

my wd 500gb ext hard drive tells me it has over 100gb of data in it but it shows me files empty . i recently tried to clear it altogether but have ended up here . could i have deleted something to cause this ? plain english please as i’m an idiot ! thanks .

perhaps somehow the files are hidden try this
      on “Start” –>Run–>type cmd and click on OK.
      if your hard drive as g:
      Enter this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*
      Then check if your real files will be shown