How can I fix Microsoft Office 2010 Outlook and recover lost emails?

penny reed February 22, 2013

Is there any way to get my Microsoft Office 2010 Outlook able to be accessed and used as my email program again? I think I stuffed up the settings and now get asked for Exchange sever info and name.

This has been going on for quite a while. I’ve tried doing a OneKey restore on Lenovo laptop; I’ve tried reinstalling files etc. from my Norton backup, I’ve even tried re-installing Office 2010 complete.

All other Office programs work, only Outlook doesn’t. It asks for Exchange sever name and user name. I have a feeling this is where I went wrong at some time while trying to fix it. I did receive a test email from Microsoft team on 15th Feb, so must have had it right at some time.

I have lost most of my emails, files folders from before Jan 5. I volunteer with a charity M.E/CFS from which I suffer. It is mostly their emails I’ve lost. It is the Charity’s Laptop. I feel as guilty as I can be and have wept buckets and exhausted myself.

Optus, one of my email accounts, can’t help, neither can Norton, and to their credit Norton did try. I’m a novice and because of my illness find it hard to understand instructions that are not simple. I really don’t want to reinstall Office again, but I do have an Office 2007 disc here, not sure of how many licenses left on it Please help!

1. Russell Smith

Hi Penny Reed,

You can use an Outlook PST repair software for recovering all lost emails. I have read the review of this software at: http://www.jafaloo.com/2012/12/01/stellar-phoenix-outlook-pst-repair-review/ . It seems that this software will sort out your problem.

Regards :
    Russell

2. Penny Reed

A big thank you to everyone for their replies , you are all very kind and generous with your knowledge . Because of my illness it's going to take some time to try and understand and follow your instructions but be assured i will . I wanted to print them all out but ran out of ink ,never mind it'll just take me a little longer . Again big thanks you're a wonderful community . Penny

Click on Start then on Control Panel.
    Under the icons veiw click on Email.
    In the window that opens click on 'Show Profiles'
    You will now see your Outlook profile.
    Click on Add and give your new profile a name.
    Make sure the Ask about Profile radial is checked then OK your way to the desktop.
    Start Outlook and it should ask you which profile to use, choose the new profile you just created.
    This should lead you to the 'Add Accounts' section, follow it through adding your email account details as you go through it.
    Check that the account is working.
    Do NOT delete the old profile, thats where your emails, addresses etc are stored.

Assuming you can open Outlook with the old profile, do so and dismiss any notifications to Exchange server names etc.
    Click on the File tab then on 'Option' then 'Advanced'.
    In the right hand pane look for and click on 'Export'.
    Choose 'Export to a file' then click on Next.
    Choose Comma Separated Values and click on Next.
    Now you should see your inbox along with other folders, export your Inbox and give the file a name and select a location for the backup.
    Now do the same for your address book.

Close Outlook when finished and then reopen it using the new profile.
    Navigate your way back to Export but this time choose Import from another program or file.
    In the next window choose Comma Separated Values and click on Next.
    Navigate to the exported file and select it then click on Next.
    Choose a location to import to and click on Next.
    Click Finish and your file (email or contacts) will be imported to the location of your choice.

4. Suvadeep Paul

[ content removed, please refer to original source here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497 ]

• Tina Sieber

Suvadeep,

I removed the text you had copied & pasted from Microsoft and replaced it with a link to the original source.

I appreciate that you found a solution. In the future, please do not copy & paste text without properly referencing the source. Thank you!

First, let's see what we can do about trying to preserve emails. Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to C:UsersusernameAppDataLocalMicrosoftOutlook. The username portion is the username of the account you used to log into Windows. This folder should contain a few files including Outlook.pst and possibly Archive.pst. Both of these files will contain your past emails (as long as they have not been replaced or overwritten). You should take this entire folderr and copy (not move) it to another location (maybe your Desktop or anywhere else you will remember).

From here, things get tougher since I am working with Outlook 2007, not 2010, so things have probably moved around. Open up Outlook and cancel any dialog boxes asking for configuration settings. Go to Tools -> Account Settings... to bring up the account dialog box. If there are no entries here, you will need to recreate the account settings based on the information from your provider or possibly repair any existing accounts. For each account listed, you should enter its configuration settings and sending a test email. In my case, I am highlighting the email account, clicking on the Change... button and then selecting the Test Account Settings... button. If everything works without error here, we're golden. If not, report back with any error messages that you cannot resolve with your provider.

Once at least one account is working, we can now attach the old PST files with your past emails. Using Windows Explorer, check the Outlook folder we looked at in the first paragraph again to see if there is a new Outlook.pst file with today's date, a very recent time and a small size. If so, the old one was overwritten and we need to move a copy of the original back here WITH A DIFFERENT NAME. We do not want to overwrite the newly created file in this case. If the same old one is there and there isn't a new PST file that was created by Outlook, it should have attached it the original file.

Now, in Outlook, go to File -> Data File Management. This will bring up a dialog box that will normally have 2 different entries in it: Archive Folders and Personal Folders. It should be pointing to a file called C:UsersusernameAppDataLocalMicrosoftOutlookOutlook.pst. If this is the case and the original file was not overwritten, everything should be good and you should have access to all of your email again. If the original file was overwritten and you hae moved a renamed copy of the file back into the data directory, you will need to create a new Personal Folders entry by clicking the Add... button and following the wizard to point to your renamed copy of the original file. Once you complete that step, you will again have access to all of your emails.

If archiving was turned on previously, you may need to follow the same steps with the files in moving the original Archive.pst into the system as well.

Let us know if you need more help with this process or if it wasn't explained clearly enough.

Turn cached mode off
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/turn-on-or-off-cached-exchange-mode-HP001022343.aspx
    Close Outlook rename the OST file (do a backup also somewhere else)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842284
    restart outlook
    .
    Open Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Your Credentials > Look under Generic Credentials.

Edit: MS.Outlook:username@... and change the password if required.

By default, your Exchange account information is entered automatically, based on your Microsoft Windows network credentials.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/change-email-account-settings-HP010354981.aspx

Configure Exchange Server send/receive settings in Outlook 2010
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178987(v=office.14).aspx

Configure Outlook 2010 Manually with Exchange 2010
    http://support.itsolutionsnow.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=153

Outlook connection issues with Exchange 2010 mailboxes because of the RPC encryption requirement
    http://esupport.lenovo.com/mss/mss.pl?doctype=kb&docid=MjAwNjUwOA==

• davegeeit

This RecoveryFix for Outlook PST Recovery software recovers mailbox folders such as inbox, sent items, deleted items, contacts, calendars and journals from corrupt PST files and shows the recovered items in a tree structure before saving in disk.

http://www.pstrepairoutlook.com