How can I fix keys that no longer work on my keyboard?
Question by Silver /

Some keys on my keyboard don’t work, whereas others do. Can you give me any advice regarding fixing the broken keys?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• Marc Kirkland

Kind of sounds strange but soapy water. Small brush. Then clean water. Leave upside down in a warm room a couple of days. Will work on any electrical board that has no battery soldered on.

Hello, is the keyboard you are referring to in a desktop or a laptop? Keyboards, specially basic ones are so cheap nowadays that it would be better to replace it with anew one. You can also try dissassembling said keyboard and make sure to clean it, specially for any liquid stains/spills such as coffee, pop, etc. Make sure to take note of where the keys go so that you can placed them in the right spot when done.

If it is a laptop, chances are you might need to get a replacement keyboard. You might need to order it. Best bet is to go to a computer shop and ask them to order it for you. Depending on the keyboard, brand, etc, they have different prices. If you are not familiar with dissassembling a laptop, make sure to take it to shop so that they can take it from laptop and get the right part number for it. Can you tell us what do not work? Sometimes by resetting laptop, they work again.

• Oron

I agree with the others’ advice. Desktop keyboards cost very little (typically around $10 if that) and not worth the effort. With laptops the situation is more complicated. Some keyboards are easy to replace and cost around $15-20, others are much more expensive or difficult to replace. Is the problem that the keys are stuck? Not responding? Key cap “popped off” or something else?

• Kyem Ghosh

I wont dare be a mechanic of laptops… I wud rather run to a service center. But I like playing wid my desktop parts cz they are too cheap..

• Kyem Ghosh

I would ask you to do what Bruce said, but if you like to play with circuits, wires and screw drivers, unscrew the keyboard, you’ll find a rubber sheet on over the circuit board. You’ll find small button bubble on the rubber that are placed below every key. Those are used to press the circuit when you press any key and also they work as a spring. Now on the bubble, you’ll find rubber leads. You’ll find that the damaged keys will have leads displaced or open. Chk out the other keys which are good. They will have their leads placed on the mouth of the bubble. Now place the leads of your damaged keys as they are placed in the good keys. If it is loose, you can use some light paper glu to attatch. You are done… Chk it out…

• Laga Mahesa

If you do this, be extremely careful – I opened a logitech keyboard once without thinking and all the keys sprung out and distributed themselves randomly all over my bedroom.

I didn’t have much lulz that night.

• Kyem Ghosh

ha ha… It was a disaster!!!!! But once I could fix it…. Even I used petrol to some blocked keys (blocked of dust)…..

• Laga Mahesa

Petrol?!?! Didn’t that ruin the plastic?

• Kyem Ghosh

why should it ruin the plastic???? I didnt heat it n obviously petrol is not an acid that will ruin plastic… Its somewhat like a nail polish remover or head cleaners of tape recorders (forgot the chemical term)…. It worked well as a mild lubricant… The petrol got dried (vapourized) after a few minutes putting down the dust… Water? No way… Also you put other oily substance, it will attract more dust…. I find petrol the best to clean up any circuit or delicate items…

If it is a desktop keyboard, just replace the entire thing. Keyboards are cheap and fixing them, depending on the problem is normally not worth it.

Low-profile keyboards are a PITA to fix entirely. Older keyboards may be easier depending on the issue. What keys are not working?