How can I fix an Acer laptop which doesn’t turn on when the power button is pressed?

Erlis Dhima March 14, 2013

Last night I left my laptop on stand by and went to sleep… When I woke up in the morning, the laptop was turned on, but the screen was black! The fan was rotating with a high speed, the computer was on, but the screen was black… So, I turned off the computer by keeping pressed for some seconds the power button.

After it switched off, I tried to turn it on again, but nothing was working! I kept pressing some times, but it was like the computer was dead! I found a way on some youtube videos by pressing the power button for about 30 seconds, but that didn’t work! When I plug in, the battery gets charged, but the laptop won’t turn on. I have an Acer Aspire 7720G! I noticed that when I pressed the power button, like a type of little noise came out near the power button, like it blips for a bit of a second every single time I press the power button.

I need your suggestion for this! Could it be that it has some motherboard problem? Could it be that the problem is with the power button? Or it could be anything else… So, I’m waiting for your suggestions!

1. kim

It is the power/standby button for sure. I'm now running without the batter just mains power and it is very difficult to get it to turn on. atm I am holding the laptop on an extreme upright angle unplugging and replugging the mains power then holding the power switch in for about 30 seconds. Can't give any more insight than that! Other than I recently became infected with the qvo6 virus and I have managed to remove all of it except its control over my home page. Don't know if this is related...

2. Erlis Dhima

For anyone who comes to this question again..
    I solved this problem by myself, since even at a computer repair center, they told me I need to replace the motherboard!!!
    Anyway, this is how I solved:
    1. Removed battery
    2. Reset the internal electricity (like ha14 said above)
    3. Removed RAM sticks, removed Graphics Card, CPU, fan.
    4. Replaced thermal paste, and did a total cleanup of dust or anything...
    5. Put everything back, and also tried to fix the power button by pressing a lot of time at the button..
    6. At this step my computer was back!!!

I'm still confused since I think the main problem was the power button, since even when I tried the other steps, my laptop wouldn't work! After doing that trick with the button, now it works! If anyone has anything to say about this, please I would like to hear his/her opinion!

Anyway, I am going to mark this question as solved now! Since, everything is back to normal now...

3. Dave Rimmer

Sounds like the battery may be flat get a new battery and replace it see how you go, they are very cheap to buy but you will have to take the laptop apart so be carefull.

• Peter Mann

Had a problem similar to this with a laptop. Fixed it by powering on with mains power and the battery removed.

4. Andrius Marcinkevi?ius

Similar thing happened to colleague at work so we took his laptop downstairs to the company which works with computer repairs.

All they did was take out the battery, shake it a little bit, let it stay for a little bit and it started working.

They explanation to the fix was that it simply overheated and the laptop went a little bit crazy (this is why it didn't turn on).

Try it and maybe it will work for you.

5. Joel Thomas

Unplug the battery and hold for 30 seconds
    or let it cool for some time
    or this might be a n entirely different problem so get it to service station
    if its a button related issue you can solve it by removing the case and examining the button

6. Imesh Chandrasiri

I suggest an overheating problem must have occurred when you kept the laptop on over night. just remove the battery and keep the laptop for a while and try switching it on! if that fails, there is nothing much we can do! you should go to a service center!

7. Prashant Mirjankar

Unplug the power, remove the battery,wait few minutes and then power on your system.
    if it fails contact the acer customer care.

you mean you did this: Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 seconds? and it did not work?

try to reset cmos battery