How can I fix ACDSee Pro 6 which crashes with a ‘will now close’ error?

Alan Trinder January 29, 2013

By far my favourite photo organiser software has been ACDSee. I have had versions Pro 4 to 6, 6 being the latest version. For some reason I am now getting a crash with the error window ‘ACDSee will now close.’

I have asked ACDSee and done all they suggested with no success so the suggestion is (from them) that there is a conflict with Windows. Of course my Windows is kept up to date, so an update could have introduced something, but I would love to know if anyone can put a handle on this and give me a solution.

1. Alan Trinder

Hi all, I eventually removes all(?) traces of ACDSee then reinstalled seems to be ok so I will mark this resolved. Many thanks for all of the help, really pointed me in the right direction and couldn't have sorted it without the comments, Ta.

"I have asked ACDSee and done all they suggested with no success"
    What did ACDSee ask you to do?

Uninstall ACDSee with something like Revo.
    Run CCleaner to clear out any un-necessary junk files left.
    Run CCleaner reg cleaner to (hopefully) get rid of any remnents of ACDSee. Note you may need to run this twice.
    Re-install and check.

• Alan Trinder

Hi Alan
      I followed your solution (although I use Winoptimizer9 rather than CCleaner) and so far it is looking good. I would like to see this for a day or so but so far so good.

• Alan Wade

Thanks for the follow-up Alan. Here's hoping :)

Delete all *.cdx files located in the: "C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local settings\Application Data\ACD Systems\Catalogs\80Pro\Default" folder
    http://ozone.oscraps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468

Error message: "ACDSee has encountered an error and will now close"
    https://acdsystems.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/538226-error-message-%22acdsee-has-encountered-an-error-and-will-now-close%22

try to run it as administrator?

check if the folders did not become read only..

try to rename the folders to something else and open ACDSEE....