How can I fix a “no signal” problem with my monitor?

September 26, 2013

My desktop screen will repeatedly say “no signal” from “hdmi” and “vga” upon startup or it will sometimes start and then the screen goes blank after the first few minutes.  I’ve tried multiple cables in both the “hdmi” and “vga” slots (even having both cables plugged in at the same time once or twice).  I really am lost and cant work it out.  Please help me.

As Alan points out, the key to diagnosis is a *known good part*.

First though, try to start up your PC in Safe Mode and see if the display works. To do so, when you switch on the PC, press F8 until you're prompted to choose startup type (assuming the screen responds at this stage). If the display works in safe mode, then the problem is either a driver issue with the graphics card (so download and install the latest driver for it) or that the display was set to too high a resolution or too high a refresh rate for your screen, so experiment with those.

So, if that didn't work, connect your PC to a monitor that works, and a cable that works (and by "works" I mean one you have just tested, not a newly bought and untested one).

If this do not work with your PC, the problem is likely to be in the PC itself, so try another graphics card (I'd say update the driver, but if you can't see what you're doing...) and see if you have better luck.

If the test screen does work with your PC, then your screen is damaged. Depending on the type of screen, you may want to take it to a technician, or simply replace it.

2. Dave R

Is your graphic card drivers up to date.

3. Alan W

If at all possible, connect a known working monitor and cable and check if it works on your setup. If so then, as you say you have tried multiple cables, it must be your monitor. If it dosnt work then look at problems with your graphic card.

unplug the graphic card and boot on the internal motherboard graphic card to check if you have the same problem