How can I find out who hacked my Hotmail account?

TomKayWebDesign June 12, 2012

Somebody hacked into my hotmail account and did…nothing?! Really creepy that’s the problem. They got on to my hotmail and then went to a Twitter account (which is not actually linked to the Hotmail) and requested a password change, also requested a password change on a blog I use (expat-blog) .

The thing is, they did not click on the email for a ‘password change’ and then deleted the request emails from both.

I used Hotmail to recover the emails, so I know they were sent. But it was liked they hacked in and tried to cover there tracks.

Anyway because the accounts weren’t linked it makes sense it is someone that know me.. so how do I track them down? Even if it just the IP.

Any ideas?

1. computergeek88

Hey Gang

After reading alot of your comments of this page I feel I must update you on two things in dealing with hacking of email accounts and other person accounts on other webpages. As your all well aware this is a common occurance, but one thing alot of people overlook. It is very easy to request password changes these days if someone knows your email............seriously thats all they need. My point here is that sometimes people, who have similar names and addresses, might mistaken your account for there own and accessed it by themselves. I had this happen recently on my Microsoft account, and I felt bad when I ended up having a Cyber Warefare unit arrest a teenage girl who had accessed my account(don't worry, they let her go though I paid the charge). You might have had someone access your account randomly, thinking it was there, then they freaked when they realise it wasn't.

Secondly, in regards to IP addresses. There are plenty of IP tracking programs out there; free and paid. They all, however, inform the IP user your tracking them, like a package in the mail with a confirmation number. When you get an IP address it will lead you to a device, thats all. Get it's name, and serial number(which is usually in the properties tab) and track the owner. Thats a much safer, and legal, way of doing it. Then you just track the owner, production company, origion of manufacture, and somewhere down the paper trail you will find the person who got in.

• david

All I need to know please from someone who has successfully obtained ip logs from hotmail is for how long they keep records ? I heard 60 days. But others say much longer. Does anyone actually know the answer here ? Really most grateful indeed for all genuine information.

• Tina Sieber

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences and advice!

2. hughe stephenson

i can not get in to my hotmail account , they keep saying that someone else may be using my hotmail

Try to clear browser cache and cookies and access Hotmail after that to see any improvements.

3. jairo beltran

what could happend, please help me fixin my problem, i already have one week without my hot mail service.
    thanks.

4. jishan

how to recover 10 manth ago delete gmail mail its very importent for me please help me thank you so mucth

Once deleted,all the data and the account is no longer available.

5. Karen

My account has been hacked & blocked today. (Possibly last night, but I attempted to login this morning.) My password is complex with a mix of uppercase/lowercase/numbers/symbols. I use a Mac, so apparently harder to hack. I've verified the account successfully, email code sent to my mobi from hotmail. Also verified it online with their questions check. Successful. Changed my password. Cleared my browser history, cache, cookies. Still can't log in. Still going directly to blocked account screen!?! HELP! please.

Perhaps Microsoft had blocked your account.Click on the link below to know the required steps for mitigating your issue -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hotmail-account-blocked-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

• Karen

Thanks Susendeep but I've already done these instructions. And passed the verification! Yet still it gives me the same account blocked error screen when I try and login!

Then you might need to wait for some time.Login after 1 week and see whether this situation improves.

6. john

Be careful of hotmail apps! Mine was hacked recently, it
    must have aquired my password.

7. ANON

In Hotmail open that mail you wanna track then you will see a little arrow next to the replay option on the same tab as the sender right below the date of the actual E-mail.
    Click that arrow and choose "view message source" think a script page will open with an IP from where the e-mail was sent then goto google and search for an IP Tracker and trace them. Good luck and use a crazy long ass password next time and keep changing it every few months if your paranoid hehe :P

8. Jessica

Okay so someone hacked my hotmail. i really need to know who it is. i tried " i think someones using my hotmail" but they changed the email for it . all i know is the first 2 letters of the email and what email it is.is it possible to find out who it is from that?

• sam

its not posible to find who it is ..bt it is possible to retrive ur account back

• jairo beltran

how could i retrieve my account back?

9. Abdelmoniem Ahmed Salim

Dear official, I have already sent a complain concerning probable abuse of my E-mail account in the Hotmail.They sent me a reply and everything went fine since my address in the mail opening promptly.Suddenly, I Found a message informing me my account was blocked.I have been shocked due to imminent interview with the BBC and other data seems to be difficult to retrieve again.I am proud of my mailing history through several years in the Hotmail.I am preparing a legal steps to convert the matter to keep my rights.

10. Armando Alarid de la Torre

Sorry you can't see who hacked you but let me give you an advise, change your password use symbols, letters etc. and check your computer for viruses, maybe your computer is infected with a key logger

11. danar

who hacked me?

12. Mihovil Pletikos

most probably you got "hacked" by somebody who knew your password by knowing you, you forgot to logout on some public computer or you got phished... but i really think it was somebody you know....
    if they were using webinterface as bruce said only way to get that info is to contact hotmail crew...

The only way you could possibly get their IP address is if you can get it from the Hotmail support team. Anything you can grab from the emails themselves will only lead you to the Hotmail server the individual was connected to when doing this.

Wait, that's not entirely true. If they were accessing Hotmail from a desktop email client that allows POP3/IMAP to a Hotmail account, their IP address will be in the header as well, but if they were hacking into your account they probably would not use a local client to do it; they would be accessing it through a web browser to prevent this kind of tracking. There are also email clients that will allow email access via the web APIs which will give you the exact same effect as if you were accessing it with your web browser (no IP track from originating machine).

14. Truefire_

On Gmail, it will tell you the last few IP's that logged in to your account. I was unable to find such a feature in Hotmail.

Change your password to something more complex, like a sentence, and you should be fine.

15. ryandigweed0

If they sent an email, if you check the email header/properties you will see their ip that they used to send the email. That's all you can trace.

For future use add your cellphone number to your windows live account, so that if someone tries accessing it, it will message you the ip, and the time someone is trying to access it :)