How can I find out what caused my computer to crash with a blue screen and fix the issue?

Roshal Smith April 9, 2013

I was working on my PC with my website, a very important data to be sent. Meanwhile my PC crashed showing a blue screen with some type of error shown. Please help me! What to do?

1. Alison Gent

in the windows search bar type in "cmd" then right click on the program and select "run as administrator" a little black box will come up. then type in: sfc /scannow
    EXACTLY how i did it their with a space and everything between the f and / then let it scan....what happening is that you direct your computer to check for any file errors. Its called a system file check. if their are any problems it can fix it will automatically if it comes back saying it cant fix a problem it found then you may want to take you computer to an expert

2. yudics

many cases of blue screen errors are caused by hardware errors, and the ram is the most frequent, try to turn off the computer, unplug the AC outlet, and then open the casing of your cpu, find ram computer, unplug ramnya by pressing the white button on either side, then clean the slot using a dry brush , for pin on the memory card you can scrub with a clean cloth or tissue. after that you can reinstall the ram card, insert it into the slot and press until a click and the both of white button lock perfectly. turn on the computer, if it does not work then try using other similar memory and turn the tide.

3. Shailesh Tripathi

Sure you should try to replace the ram and also clean the system from newly installed software. at http://www.freefblike.com I always tend to say all users to continuously creating a restore point.

4. Fawad A

What you could do is use a portable bootable operating system like ubuntu or there are many more out there to retrieve whatever files you have. Then you could put them on an external hard drive and perform a clean install of whatever operating system you want.

5. Sonesh Lakhani

Once remove your RAM and place again after cleaning it

6. somu1795

There are several utilities that can tell you what cause the error. One of the is the following:

whocrashed: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

or,

bluescreenview: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Of course for these utilities to work, your computer has to be able to boot. Also you can check the event viewer in your computer and it will show you the errors.

8. Jimmy

System Restore.
    Go back to an earlier point.
    Best of luck.

9. Dany Bouffard

Chris Marcoe, you beat me before I could write about Blue Screen View.

• Chris Marcoe

I'd give you a thumbs up, but I can't... But you'll get it when i can up vote!!! Also, I cheated. I couldn't remember the name so I went in and asked my instructor.

10. Chris Marcoe

When you have a BSOD, it saves a file in the %systemroot%. You could try going through this and figuring out what happened, Or, you can download Blue Screen View. this will look at that file and figure out what happened. And report it back to you.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Good luck

While I can't tell you how to fix _your_ problem, here are some pointers that may help.
    BSOD (blue screen of death) occur when there is a serious error, normally either hardware- or driver-related. When possible, the BSOD will show the actual error message near the top in textual mode (e.g. "Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL") and with a long hex number. If, on that line, you find the word "driver", and even better, a file name, there's a good chance that it was caused by that driver. Find the driver (you don't have to find it on _your_ system, just google it), find out which driver it belongs to, get a new copy (from CD or the internet) and reinstall the driver.
    Two points:
    1. it's best to do a "clean install" of the driver, since one of its files my be corrupt. Since not all installers replace all files if a driver is already installed, I suggest you remove the old driver first. For some drivers, you actually need to download a special "cleaning tool" from the manufacturer, which will remove all vestiges of the old driver.
    2. If the system won't start up, or stay up for long enough to reinstall the driver, reboot the computer into Safe Mode (by pressing F8 just before Windows starts up) and do the work in that mode.

If the problem was not caused by a driver, but you have a file name, find out what that file is and deal with it similarly (e.g. if it's part of a recent update, remove the update from the computer and see if that helps).

If there is no file name included in the error, note down the full text of the error (remember, this is just the bit at the top) and google the error code and hex value, and see what you come up with. I hope this helps.

12. Nevzat A

Blue screens are caused by many factors. Hardware failures (disk, memory, usb...), corrupt files and configurations, bad software, malware/viruses etc.

In order to suggest you a resolution, we need more information, the information that are printed on blue screen, what were you doing when it happened, your OS version (Windows 7, 8 etc), whether you have connected any new hardware or removed one...

If the failure is caused by software ;
    - if it's caused by a newly installed software, you need to uninstall it
    - if it's caused after you install a Windows Update, you can uninstall the hotfix
    - if it's caused by a malware or virus (if you suspect it is so), you should get a live anti-virus software disk to clean your Windows, documents and program files.
    - if you don't have enough RAM (memory) on your PC, Windows paging operations might also cause blue screens. In this case it's best to upgrade your PC with more RAM modules.
    - if some kind of new software device (like a ramdisk - a virtual device) is installed and blue screen occurs, then you should uninstall the software or use Windows Restore to go back to an older state of Windows.

Whatever the case is, if you have Windows 7 or 8, you could try Advanced Recovery, it has many weapons to cure the problems.

Good luck, buddy, don't forget to backup your files to a USB hard disk or flash drive. You can use a live Linux CD to copy/recover/backup your valuable files if Windows is inaccessible.

If your computer 'blue screens' then take a note of the error message and code number, that will enable narrowing down the problem so its easier to fix.

That said, we need the answers to ha14's questions in order to proceed.

if you have windows restore point use it to revert back to earlier state where everything was fine.

Are you able to boot again at least to safe mode?
    Do you have windows dvd which version of OS you have?

• Khanh Tran

Booting in safe mode and disable all drives.