How can I find my Windows XP user account password?

passwordkey June 12, 2012

Microsoft Windows XP allows people to set up different user accounts on a PC. Each of the accounts can have different preferences and settings. And also users can put password on them to protect their PC from unauthorized access.

However, if one forgot his computer password, then it would be quite problematic since one may not be able to access one’s PC. So how to find Windows XP password when it is forgotten.

1. Jonal Coleman

Use Offline NT Password & Registry editor to change or just simply remove the password..

2. Mihovil Pletikos

you can always reset it from other account that is administrator

3. ryandigweed0

OPHcrack is really good, and has been reccomended by many people. Otherwise You can try the ubuntu method as suggested by MakeUseOf :)

Here is an excellant article on User and Admin passwords and how to reset them:

5. Himanshu Singla

ophcrack is the best software to get the password..apart from that MUO link by ha14 is the other we have different linux and windows you neednot to burn this each and every software on the cd..just make a usb bootable and use according to the make pendrive bootable use uneetbotin(

7. anhdroid

You can get access to one's personal account and data by using any Linux live cd I guess.
    If you want to regain access to personal account from Windows, Hiren's BootCD has a tool for this. Just download Hiren's BootCD from, launch it from an admin account and search for the tool. (I'm not sure what the tool is called but I'm sure that HBCD has one.)

If you are looking for recovery and someone still has administrator access to the machine, you could use Ophcrack ( which is free or L0phtCrack ( which is a commercial program.