How can I find compatible RAM for my computer?

Gaurav A May 21, 2015

Gaurav asks:

I have an Intel DH55TC motherboard with an Intel i3 530 and 2 x 2 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM installed. I want to buy an 8 GB DDR3 RAM stick but after doing some research I am thinking of buying 2 sticks of 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM but will a 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM stick support my motherboard or will it cause any problems? I want to buy Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB but its is 1600 MHz so I think I would have to buy Transcend DDR3-1333 DDR3 4 GB (2 sticks).

Bruce’s reply:

Looking at the specs for your motherboard shows that it can use a DIMM of 4 GB per slot and the board is designed to use DDR3 1333 or 1066 DIMMs in each of its 4 slots.  Because of this, an 8 GB DIMM is out of the question.  The board simply isn’t designed to handle it.

Now, if you were looking at something like the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 which is the Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB kit (2 x 4 GB DIMMs), this should work without a problem.  It is tested as 1600 MHz RAM, but its SPD speed is listed as 1333 MHz which is what you need for your motherboard.

I also took a peek at the specs for your processor and found that it is only rated for memory channels running at 1066 or 1333 MHz as well, so everything across the board with regard to memory is copacetic.

A couple of other notes regarding the memory in your system.  When installing the memory, you are much better off using matched pairs like you get in the kits.  These memory modules are tested as a pair and will perform better in general.  It is much better than buying two individual modules that were not tested with a mate.  If you were considering maxing out the RAM in your system, I would go as far as looking for a 4 x 4 GB kit instead of two 2 x 4 GB kits for just this reason.

Also, when you do add more memory to your system, you should put serious consideration into installing the same brand and model of memory that you have populating your currently used slots.  By doing this, you have a better chance of DIMMs that share the same performance characteristics.  If you are unsure of exactly what is in your system, you can use CPU-Z and look at the SPD tab to find out what is in there.

Whether an upgrade or buying a new system, the motherboard, processor, and memory should be evaluated as a single unit.  When you consider how these components work together in your system and how the performance of any one of them can impact the overall system functionality, it makes looking at only one or two of them without taking the remainder into account almost always leads to less than stellar performance of the system as a whole.