How can I find a good web development and design company for my website project?

CiprianBogdan88 January 14, 2013

I want to make a site that requires quite a lot of work both on the part of web development and design, and I want to work with a company from my town, which is in New York City. I found a few companies on the Internet, but so far the most serious I found is this: http://www.rocketfirestudios.com/

What do you think of it? Has anyone worked with her?

1. Ciprian Bogdan

Thanks for the replies, I think ultimately will choose the services from RocketFireStudios, because they are very close from me. I already talked to the guys and they seem pretty good.

2. Amit Sinha

Hello Ciprian
    It depends on your needs, from my point of view rocketfire studios can meet your requirements, but they don not have any pricing in advance.
    If you want to work with company too then the best way to hire business team or freelancers from freelancers portal (I recommend one Elance.com).
    The most advantage of Elance is that you can hire from Individual Professional to Business Team and read review and rating of the client reviews within last 12 months.
    Second advantage is that you can meet all your requirements within your budget and timeline.

• Susanna Speier

If design if your thing, go scout ideas at the Cooper Hewlett Museum of Contemporary art, Rhizome, PS 1, New Museum --- whatever you can get your hands on basically.

Visit Design Milk and Smashing Mag online download the freebees and take the opportunity to assemble a Power POint mockup of what the finished product would look like. This will be a great way to communicate with the designers you already have an affinity for.

• Susanna Speier

Sorry --- I mean convey to the prospective contractors what you are looking for more succinctly

3. Susanna Speier

Ciprian, you need to start by deciding what your priorities are. Doesn't have to be anything elaborate of complex. Just decide what your criteria for a good company is. Here are a few examples of focus areas you may wish to choose from:

1.) Graphic design
    2.) SEO
    3.) Social media optimization
    4.) Content creation
    5.) Landing page conversion

Once you determine which of those features you want to prioritize, I recommend going to a tech event or two and getting an 'in real life' sense of what the hiring process is like. You may also want to outright ask for guidance in the hiring process. Just be sure you're chatting with someone who wont mislead you to get your business. Use Meetup.com, Linkedin and question/answer sites like Quora to keep the focus professional. You are, after all, looking to employ someone.

If you decide to go the agency route, I recommend Solvate or Artisan. Good luck!

4. siddharth singh

best place for that would be google ... you also get reviews of a company there

5. Rob Hindle

There's no "one size fits all" answer. The cost of a website can be anything from free to many tens of thousands. Of course there's no such thing as free, it usually means build it yourself using templates and run it on a free (=overloaded/slow) server. Broadly speaking the more you pay the more you get but some providers will charge as much as they can whilst doing as little as they can.

Assuming you have a realistic budget then things I'd try to avoid are companies that subcontract the work elsewhere (so you are just giving a middleman a percentage of your budget). Also there are so many skills involved these days (html, css, javascript, PHP, SEO, visual design, legal compliance, text content authoring, marketing, ecommerce, MySQL, CMS etc) that it's getting difficult for small providers to have a wide enough skill set. A small company claiming to be a one-stop-shop with everything done in-house and a broad skill-set is deluding themselves and their customers.
    Adobe Flash is no longer universally supported by end user hardware/software so anyone proposing to use it for your project should be immediately off your short-list.

Look at the design company site critically, for example rocketfire contact page goes wrong for me using Google Chrome browser (opening the contact page the "request a quote" form partly opens, un-usably and overwriting part of the bottom of the main contact page). You will want a web site that works properly in all the main browsers.

A practical approach might be to look at other websites of people or organisations in your area and who you estimate may have had similar levels of budget (i.e. if yours is a personal site, comparisons with business sites may be inappropriate) see what you like then contact those organisations and ask who they used and what their experience of that web design company was.

It is best to check on the internet. if you find a company then check their website and check their portfolio. Check websites they have created to know how user friendly their website is and how good they look. Contact them for a price quote and after a few quotes, you will be able to decide which company makes good websites for less cost.