How can I effectively use SEO to promote my fitness website?

Ahad A August 27, 2013

I want to know some SEO tricks for my website.  I have a website about fitness exercises and training as well as Health Tips, Beauty Tips, Skincare, Weight Loss Tips, Workouts Routines, Home Fitness etc.

How can I use SEO to promote my website?

1. Ahad A

Yes I am understand, what you want to say me,
    Sir, I try to upload more content then I will tell you :)
    Thanks for your response.

2. MakeUseOf TechGuy

Your URL was sent to spam unfortunately, but it was forward to me so the answer is now pretty easy:

1. You're hosted at blogspot.com, which also redirects to blogspot.co.uk; you cannot possibly hope to popularise a site or do anything SEO related when you're hosting on a free blogging platform. Go get your own domain, your own hosting, and then try again.

2. Cheap tricks like bolding keywords is going to work.

3. The writing is appalling. "But women are very much skinny then they want their weight to be gain in just a little period of time. " - Please, by all means write a blog in order to improve your English skills - that's an excellent way to learn. But don't try to market your blog - good writing skills are absolutely critical.

4. There is no actual content. It's just keyword-laden articles with nothing to say and no expertise to share.

In short, there is nothing to benefit the reader, at all. If it hasn't already, a manual spam action will have been taken by Google quality testers after 5 seconds on the site.

3. MakeUseOf TechGuy

SEO probably isn't your problem - share you site URL and I'll tell you what is.

4. Ahad A

Thanks very much sir to share nice advise with me, that's mean now we have not need Back Links of Popular and Relevant website?. Thanks?

• MakeUseOf TechGuy

No, those are still absolutely critical.

5. Ryan Dube

Hi Ahad,

These days they aren't so much SEO "tricks" as just a few things you can do to align yourself with what Google wants to see when looking for top sites to list in its search results. There are hundreds of things to consider with every website, but your top 5 items that you want to focus on first would be the following:

1. Search Keyword Analysis - Invest in a a good keyword research service like Wordtracker Keyword Tool, which can help you identify some good evergreen search topics that you can use to build a strong foundation for your site. Just be very careful to stay within your niche when you choose topics. Don't stray just to get search volume.
    Google Insights (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-advanced-tips-google-insights/) and Google Trends are fantastic research tools as well.

2. SEO Basics - Search MUO for "SEO" and you'll see some great articles on the basics. I've also written one about what to avoid doing - as making mistakes is very easy. (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/search-engine-optimization-mistakes-that-will-destroy-your-website/). I think the best starter guide of them all is the one offered by Google itself: https://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

3. Research Competition: Using some of the tools in #1, you can actually find what sites make up the most search-engine competitive of your niche. In fact, you can just search Google for your favorite keywords to see that. Take a close look at what they do - how their site is designed, social plugins they use, sections they include in the site, etc...

4. High Quality: The #1 thing on your list should be developing well-researched, high-quality articles that actually mention the topic you're writing about. I've seen articles where someone has written about something like "how to format a hard drive", and no where in the article do they bother saying "this is how you format a hard drive". They just jump into the article and don't bother being clear with the article intent. Being clear will not only help your users, it'll help Google figure out what your article is about.

5. Unique - To beat the competition, you have to be unique from them. If you're just another fitness and training site, you'll get lost in the pile of other sites doing the same thing. Give it an edge - a unique angle. Maybe you can provide answers directly to reader's fitness questions? Maybe you can provide a section of funny workout videos where people use gym equipment incorrectly. Okay...odd examples, but you see my point. Make your site STAND OUT. Make it unique and something people will want to share and say to their friends, "Hey, check out this awesome site, I've never seen this before." Then, you get more social shares, and that helps your SEO value. See how it works? It's not about "tricks", it's about having a vision and a state of mind to get the SEO benefits by doing the right things for quality and reader value.

I wish you the best of luck with your new site - I'm sure you'll make it awesome.

-Ryan