How can I easily restrict access to the Internet for a specific user on my wireless network?

Dan Vaughn May 31, 2012

I need to easily be able to block a child’s access to the Internet using the wireless router at a certain time of the night. I would like to be able to re-establish the link at my discretion, on a daily basis.

What is the easiest way to do this?

1. Irshaad Abdool

your router probably has MAC filtering. at night, put your child's device's mac address in the mac blocking feature and it will be blocked from accessing the internet. some routers also allow you to block mac address automatically on certain day of the week and at certain time.

2. Laga Mahesa

As Rob Mey said, use MAC address filtering on the router - see if your particular model allows for timed access rules in the administrative section.

Hello, easiest way would be to use the parental controls included with your system. What version of windows are you running? Read the following link for options for windows xp:

for Vista try the following:

for windows 7:

4. Mihovil Pletikos

do you want to restrict access to specific user or specific computer....if it is user then you need to have a router that allows that, and it is pretty complicated... but if you want to block just change wifi password or block specific mac address

5. Truefire_

The easiest way is probably AVG Family Safety, unless you know how to change settings on your router as the other commentor suggested. In addition, a lot of routers don't have advanced controls like that.

Family Safety:

It's not free, but it's the best tool I've found.

Norton has something similar that's free, or it was:

But I have no experience with this.

6. franktan

One solution is using a dual-band router ( It allows you to set restrictions on the radio band your kids use but doesn't affect you. And you can log in to the router anytime to make changes.

7. Rob Mey

MAC Address filtering

8. Oron

If it's a routine time (say, switch off internet access at 10PM every night), then running a parental control program on his/her PC is probably the easiest way to achieve this. Some internet security suites include a parental-control element, or you can get separate programs that do this.
    Some routers allow you to enable/disable access to PCs based on their MAC addresses, but I don't think this can be described as an "easy solution".