How can I easily enable WiFi access on a wired router?

Drsunil V August 20, 2013

How do I go about enabling WiFi access on a wired router to make it plug-n-play without having to configure net settings again?

1. macfx
    • Drsunil V

Pl tell whether any configurations to be done for wi-fi extender?

2. Daniel J

If your computer has a Wi-Fi adapter, then do these steps

1. Connect to Internet via LAN
    2. Install Connectify to use your Wi-Fi adapter as a Hotspot or Access point http://www.connectify.me/
    3. Run Connectify
    4. Use Wireless internet! :)

If your computer doesn't have a Wi-Fi adapter, then buy one and do the above steps

If you own a laptop that doesn't have a LAN port, then please change your router. Get a Wireless router, there is no other go

Hope this helps,
    Dani

• Drsunil V

Pl note that as asked , I am looking for enabling wifi access by plug and play to the current router

3. Dyun

What i did is, i got my wifi access point and connect it to your wired router. you can enable it by configuring the your wired router.

• Drsunil V

Pl note , as asked I would like to plug-n-play enable wi-fi access without any additional configuration

• Drsunil V

Pl also tell whether wi-fi access point is same as wi-fi extender?

4. Adam B

Use D-Link DWA 131 Wireless N Nano Adapter. It is a very small and powerful wireless adapter. But to configure it easily you have to install a software like Connectify. Don't go into the settings of this Nano Adapter. Just configure it in Connectify. I use it and do get connected through WIFI on my Samsung mobile as well as Android IBALL 3g slide tablet.

• Drsunil V

Appending a sub-question based on your answer : Does wireless adapter work even if no computer is connected to system ( as you mentioned connectify is to be used on computer )?

5. Robert Carrick

You could probably put a wireless extender upstream of the router, but then you'd have to bridge it, or mess with your network ip settings to see any other devices on the original router from a device connected wirelessly.

• Drsunil V

I understand

Pl tell , Is wireless extender ( as you mentioned ) , same as wifi adapter?

• Robert Carrick

No, adapters plug in to PCs to enable access to a wireless network. Extenders, access points, and wireless routers provide the wireless network network adapters to connect to. After reading about how you want to provide access for a DVR, none of these options is going to work. My previous post would have worked only with a PC somewhere on the network sharing either a wired or wireless internet connection. Your best bet is an inexpensive wireless router wired in between your internet source and your current router. Here's one, but the deal only lasts for 11 more hours: http://1saleaday.com/main/

• Drsunil V

Thanks for answer. Appending a subquestion based on your answer : Can you pl tell whether wifi extender can be connected to non-wifi router as plug and play to tether net? or net's configuration has to be done?

6. Collin Hoffman

The short answer is that you can't without additional hardware. It is possible to add one (or more) access points to your wired network. This is a common setup for large business-type networks. They have a single router hosting the network and many AP's in the building to provide coverage. Access points have similar functions to wireless routers but without the routing function. The downside to this is that AP's cost almost as much as a new wireless router so you may be better off just upgrading.

• Drsunil V

I understand

Adding a sub-question on your answer : Do wireless access points work by direct plug-n-play to enable wi-fi access from wired router?

• Collin Hoffman

The ones used in the network at my high school did, I think. I can't speak for consumer-level ones, but I would think there must be some configuration involved, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to set up things like a wifi password.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Appending a subquestion based on your answer : Other than wifi password , do the main internet settings as while setting a new router have to be done for enabling a non-wifi router to tether net through wireless access point?

7. sc.corky

WiFi access requires hardware that has the ability to send and receive radio signals, and it is therefore not possible to enable WiFi access without additional hardware. You may connect one of the ethernet ports on a WiFi device to a switch, hub or router to receive the benefits of both. This would generally require the least amount of reconfiguration.

• Drsunil V

You mentioned "generally require the least amount of reconfiguration."
      Pl tell , do you mean least configuration on current installed router or on the devices which you mentioned to connect to ethernet ports of current router>

• sc.corky

I meant as in any of your existing devices. You should be able to configure the new device (WIFI access point) without any other changes. Connecting your existing router to the new access point may require an ethernet rollover cable as opposed to a standard ehternet cable, but once it is set up with proper access to the router all devices should be able to communicate seamlessly.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Adding a subquestion based on your answer : Can you weblink wifi access points to http://www.ebay.in?

8. Shawn G

You can set up a USB Wifi Adapter on a wired computer and set it up as a Wifi Hotspot. Just configure a wireless adhoc network in Windows 7. (Just keep in mind that Android devices specifically can't pick up adhoc networks for some reason).

I've had a USB adapter on my system for years and works great. But because of the Adhoc issue in Android I use Connectify to manage it.

• Drsunil V

I understand what you said

Pl note , that current router is not connected to any computer? ( It is connected to a dvr for video surveillance using static ip )

Is there a way to enable wi-fi access on this wired router which has internet configured but not connected to a computer?

• Shawn G

Then you can't use a USB adapter. As far as I know there is no way to add wireless capability to a wired only router.

Not sure if you can but why not just get a wired/wireless combo router? I have on set up on the other side of the house.
      Other than that I think you'd pretty much have to go with a repeater. But honestly the simplest is probably to just get a combo router.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Other responses contradict. Request you to check

9. Jaypee C

if it doesn't have a wireless feature you could use an available port on that router.. a wireless access point device should do the trick for you :)

• Drsunil V

Thanks, It sounds easy.

Adding a subquestion to your answer: Can you provide a link to an access point on http://www.ebay.in?

10. Vipul J

I'd like someone to confirm this, but isn't a USB Wifi Adapter a solution to this problem?

• Pavel V.

I don't think so .. these adapters usually require drivers to be installed (or present in the OS). I have not seen a router without WiFi which supported WiFi adapters via USB.. maybe a customized FW could do the trick... maybe.

11. Ryan C

Not that I'm aware of. The best you could do is use a WiFi adapter on your computer and then share the Internet connection. It would be slightly cheaper than buying a wireless router, but not the best way.

• Drsunil V

Pl note : I would like to add that router is not connected to computer but to dvr

Can you pl tell how to enable wi-fi access on the wired router without using a computer?

12. Guy M

If it is a wired router, there is no way to enable WiFi access. It's not a feature of the router, right?

Your best bet is probably to buy a wireless router and replace the wired one. Wireless routers often have several Ethernet ports so that they can accept your wired connections as well. You'd be looking at maybe $50 CDN for an inexpensive new WiFi router.

• Drsunil V

I understand

Pl tell that if a wifi-router is connected to the wired router then it automatically works as plug-n-play wifi access on wireless router from wired router?