How can I dual boot Zorin 7 and Windows 8?

Andrew Makkink June 15, 2013

I have downloaded the Zorin 7 ISO and copied it using YUMI to a USB. Now to boot on a Windows 8 HP, I get the directory of the ISO file that I can scroll through using the enter key, but no EXE file for Windows to boot from.

Has anybody been able to dual boot Zorin 7 and Windows 8? Thanks!

1. Aamir Shahzad

Change the USB drive i.e different company, sometime it solves the problem

2. Ishan Lankage

it's simple.boot 2 os to part of 2 in heart.

3. Andrew M

I don't know why the HP wouldn't take it, it is less than 6 months old, while the Asus is about 4 years old. I have also get the wi fi working, thanks for the help

• adrian mores

"I don’t know why the HP wouldn’t take it, it is less than 6 months old, while the Asus is about 4 years old."

That's exactly why. The answer is pretty simple, your 4-year old Asus uses the old BIOS so dual-booting should be easy.

Your 6-month old HP, on the other hand, uses UEFI. Newer laptops today now scrap BIOS and use UEFI. They said that it's not as easy dual-booting on an UEFI laptop as it should on a BIOS laptop but there are tutorials for that.

Try searching "dual booting with windows 8 laptops"

are you trying to have windows 8 as bootable like liinux from USB key, getting windows operating system on USB key, this is only on windows 8 enterprise. Windows To Go

• Andrew M

I have solved the problem, I booted on another computer. The bios on the HP would simply not work, but the same flash drive in the Asus computer worked first time. I was doing the right thing all the time, except the HP just wouldn't work, period. Now I must just get it to find the wi fi so I can install zorin. Thanks for the help

thanks for your feedback, perhaps to update HP Bios and try again?.

5. Andrew Makkink

Thanks for the help but I still have a problem. I have followed the instructions and they just don't work.

I have downloaded the zorin iso file, version 7 , 64 amd. I then use YUMI to create the bootable flash disk, and install the os on it. This creates a directory structure on the flash disk, not a copy of the iso. I then boot, holding down the, in this case the, F9 key, which gives me the choice of booting from OS manager, which is the same as booting from windows, or booting from EFI file, which brings up the directory structure on the flash disk. I can scroll through the directory structure but that is all. If windows requires a exe file to boot what is the equivalent Linux file? Thanks

• Jim Chambers

Does booting from OS manager give you the option of booting Zoren 7 from the flashdrive?

Follow the directions here - With YUMI you make flashdrive bootable then install an operating system such as Zorin on it not just copy iso file on it. You must boot computer from flashdrive by setting flashdrive as primary boot device in Bios or by repeatedly clicking F8 key during bootup until boot device menu appears so you can sellect flashdrive.