How can I dual-boot Windows 8 and Fedora on my ASUS K55VJ?

Milinda Arambawela June 12, 2013

I have a ASUS K55VJ Laptop. It’s a new one and only supports Win8 because of secure boot. I want to install Fedora 18(or Fedora 19 after it release). I install Win8 and after that I install Fedora 18, then it crash & my laptop did not boot any of this 2 operating systems. How can I install both operating systems without making it crash?

1. Milinda Arambawela

Thank you for your response but now my laptop is in trouble. I gave it for warranty calming. After I get it and I will try to do that. Thanks..

2. DalSan M

UEFI is such a huge pain, even after disabling Secure Boot. As Bruce suggests, disable Secure Boot, then reinstall Windows 8 and install Fedora. I had many issues installing Linux on my machine, but tried over and over again until it finally did install, so you may have to repeat the process several times before it takes. If the suggestions still do not help, we can look further into finding a solution for you.

The below Makeuseof article provides a step by step guide for dual booting Linux and Windows.It suggests that there could be slight modifications in installation process but are similar.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tired-of-windows-8-how-to-dual-boot-windows-ubuntu/

How Do I Install Ubuntu on a New Windows 8 Computer

You can install Linux with PC or laptop which comes with secure boot feature.

The only thing you have to do is to turn it off while performing installation.

You can go into your BIOS settings and disable UEFI Secure Boot. If you do this, you will also need to disable the OS Optimized Defaults setting. This should be done before installing either operating system. (If you install Win 8 with these settings enabled, then disable them to install Fedora, Win8 may no longer boot.)