How can I drag items onto RocketDock in Windows 8?

Aaron Couch April 12, 2013

I’m having an interesting problem that I have been unable to find a solution for anywhere. When I try to drag something onto the dock, it won’t let me. It’s not locked either, as I can drag icons off the dock just fine.

Now, I can right click and add a path to that folder or file manually, but as far as dragging and dropping, I’m unable to do it. In Windows 7 I had no problems at all doing this.

Note: RocketDock is running in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Has anyone found a solution for this?

1. Madan Kumar PC

Windows 8 doesnt support rocket dock yet.
    Try some other docking system as ha14 suggested.
    May be ObjectDock...
    Or tou can also create a new taskbar and dock it.

• Aaron Couch

Madan,

Thanks for your reply. Although, yes... RocketDock works fine in Windows 8 with this being the only exception. Although, I'm open to you providing any links to prove that.

Your other suggestions are good -- ObjectDock isn't bad, but I do prefer RocketDock over it.

2. Chris Marcoe

Was it working before and just decided to stop? Or are you just now noticing this functionality isn't functioning?

Also, have you went through all the options to make sure you have drag and drop enabled?

• Aaron Couch

Chris,

The Windows 8 computer is new, so I noticed it upon downloading and installing RocketDock. Also, the "drag & drop" feature is known as "Lock", in which, like I stated in the original question, it's not locked and I'm able to drag the current icons around (or off) the dock freely. It's just dragging them ONTO the dock, that I'm having issues with.

try running it as administrator

• Aaron Couch

Thanks for the response. I tried that, but it didn't work

well perhaps it is not fully compatible WIndows 8; try another docking system and see if you can perform drag and drop.