How can I disable the network card when my son logs in, but have it enabled when I log into Windows XP?

Anonymous June 14, 2011

You can use Devcon (Microsoft utility,http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272) to disable the network adapter:devcon disable =net pci*
    devcon enable =net pci*Use the Grouppolicy editor to give users rights to load and unload device drivers:Computer Configuration – Windows Settings – Security Settings – Local policies – User Rights Assignments– Load and unload device drivers: Administrators and users

3. RH

First off, I would change the password for the network, and then instead of telling XP to remember the password, choose to enter the password manually when signing on. Do not give the password to your son.

If you are using a firewall other than the MS firewall provided in SP2 and SP3, there may be a setting to block all network traffic.  This does exist with Norton Internet Security and Norton 360.  There is also a setting that allows you to restrict access to the settings for NIS and N360 to administrative users only (enabled by default).  You can also set a password which is then required any time you want to view or change the settings.  By disabling network traffic when you are done with the computer, when your kids log in, they will not be able to do anything that requires network access.  When you log back in again, you will need to go back into the firewall settings to re-enable network access.  I am not sure what other security products allow this, although something similar can be done with Comodo.

5. John

Try creating a seperate account with lesser privileges....... in that u can disable network connection.....

You can use Devcon (Microsoft utility, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272) to disable the network adapter:

devcon disable =net pci*
    devcon enable =net pci*

Use the Grouppolicy editor to give users rights to load and unload device drivers:

Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local policies - User Rights Assignments
    -- Load and unload device drivers: Administrators and users

7. RH