How can I deny the network access to my PC’s files, AND share a specific folder?

Henree G July 28, 2013

I’d like to deny access to my (Windows) computer over the network so I configured the Local Group Policy Editor:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Access this computer from a network

But now I can’t share a folder. How can I do both? Prevent access to my files AND share a specific folder (of course configuring the permissions correctly on the folder).

Bruce and Dalsan are spot on. Enabling file sharing does not mean that all your files are shared, but simply that the _feature_ is enabled. You would then need to share individual folders specifically.
    The other contributors also make a valid suggestion. Windows file sharing is not always the best way (for one thing, it is difficult to share files between Win XP and later systems, for another, this would ONLY work on a local area network). So, you can share a folder via Dropbox (works superbly, I have a number of folders shared that way, and it is a very effective way to share files even across the world), with other cloud-sync products (e.g. Sugar-sync, which has a very similar product) and finally, you can also use Bit-Torrent Sync, which will do the same job very effectively (btw, it is a completely different product from the Bit Torrent client).

• Henree G

THanks to all for the suggestions. Enabling the service would allow anyone with the computer name to access the files over the network. If I enable it, they can see my files by going to \PCNamec$ which is what I want to avoid.

• Oron J

If you enable the service, then C$ will be shared, but ONLY TO ADMIN ACCOUNTS! Assuming that you use a password for logon (and if you don't, then all your other efforts are not really worth it), then no one can enter your computer unless they hack your password.

if you share the root of the C drive then all is shared but if you specify a folder then this folder is shared.
      Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares. See what is shared, right click any of the shares here and select Stop Sharing.

Keep specific files and folders from being shared with a homegroup
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Keep-specific-files-and-folders-from-being-shared-with-a-homegroup

Hovsep mentioned a good idea to share files over Dropbox.

You can use Dropbox LAN sync to share only specific files over the local network via dropping only specific file or folder into Dropbox's folder and share it via LAN sync.

If your files are important(company files,sensitive information) then encrypt them.

how about through dropbox, share only the desired folder?

As Bruce said, one cannot share a folder on a computer while denying access to the computer. This might be of more assistance so you can share a specific folder with direct access and without showing other folders and files that lead to the folder being shared. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/share-files-and-folders-over-the-network-from-windows-vista-inside-out

By definition, sharing a folder is all about sharing files over the network, so disabling network access is going to remove that ability.

You need to re-enable the policy setting you previously changed to allow access from the network (otherwise you cannot share anything with another computer). This setting is similar to turning off the Server service on the machine. Once you do this, you can share a folder normally. You can control who has access to your files in this shared folder with a combination of permissions on the share itself, the permissions on the shared folder on your machine, and the permissions on all included files and folders. It is generally simpler to allow the Everyone group access to the share and using the permissions on the filesystem to control who can do what with your files and folders.