How can I delete files on DVD ROM disk?
Question by Shegzy4 P /

I transferred some files into a 4 GB disk I bought. After restarting, I checked the disk and couldn’t find what I transferred, so I decided to format it. It did format but the space  of what I wrote the first time was not reclaimed. How can I permanently delete files on this disk?

• Shegzy4 P

i dont want to put it on my usb drive i want to copy window 7 i downloaded into a disc, i have 4gb disc and after transferring the files, i find it hidden so i deleted/formatted the disc but the disc still shows that my files are still there but hidden. i cant view the files i copied

• Oron J

Let me say it again. Once you write data to a DVD-R or +R disc, regardless of whether the files are visible on that disc or not, you cannot erase it.

• Alan W

If you need to delete or lose the files permanetly, snap the disk in half and then follow Oron’s instructions.

• ???????? ?

Seems Like You Copied Some files to your dvd drive, simply open my computer open that drive and delete whatever you want.

check if Isobuster can do what you want
    you have trial version

• Oron J

It sounds like you are using a DVD-R or DVD+R disk, which are the most common type. These DVDs can only be written to once (the writing process changes the surface). Although you can “format” the disk, this only creates a new partition which appears as a drive in the remaining blank area, and you cannot claim back what you have already written.
    Rewriteable disks do exist, and they are of the DVD-RW and DVD+RW types, as well as DVD-RAM (which uses a different technology altogether). With these discs, you can erase the disc, overwrite files and basically use them like a USB flash drive or any other ordinary media. The downsides are poor compatibility with different drives & systems (particularly for DVD-RAM), and significantly slower read and write speeds.
    I don’t know why you are using a DVD, but if it’s only as a way of moving files about, or making a quick backup, I’d strongly recommend using a USB flash drive instead. Prices have fallen to the point that, unless you throw them out after every use, they are affordable, and they are much more straightforward to use.