How can I create a .XLS file from a custom group of contacts in Android?
Question by DrSunil Vaswani /

I want to create an .XLS contacts file from a custom group of contacts set in my Android’s Gmail account. I want to make the file only from contacts in a custom group and it can’t be converted to a .vcf file.

• Ankit Garg

Hi, I cam across the similar problem a while back!!

So here is the solution :

1. Make sure the contacts that you have on your android are the one’s that are on google “my contatcs”.

2. Once synced, select the group of people you want to download the contacs in excel.

3. Export the contacts in the form of “VCard”, NOT CSV or CVS.

4. GO to this link and download the software Vcard to Xls, its free and works wonderful.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7YzHjUfzzWnRTBXUVVUYmtIaFE/edit?usp=sharing

5. Extract the software to a folder and open the application.

6. Make sure you clikc “enable content” on top yellow bar, so as to enable the macros script.

7. Next it asks you to select the VCard file you just got from google.

8. Once you select that, the process starts and the end result is all your contacts in the form of excel sheet that you may save.

Please let me know if you face any troubles.

• Nevzat Akkaya

Gmail web interface should do the trick, Rajaa explained with enough details.

• Junil Maharjan

you can probably backup the contacts through the software that came with your phone or from an app. then if it is not an .xls file then convert the backed up file to .xls through a tool that can convert your backed up file.

I do not know if the GMail Android support such feature or not as it is only a client software. However, if you use the Gmail web interface, you can certainly do that. In the web interface, under the Google Symbol, you will see GMail with a listdown beside it. Click the listdown and select Contacts. Then you will see you contact list. On top of them, select the listdown that says More and then choose Export. Now select the group you want to export and choose the format between either Google CSV format or Outlook CSV format. CSV format are comma delimited format and are readable by excel so once you have exported, open the file in Excel and do a save as Excel format and you have your group contacts exported in Excel format. If you want the file in your Android phone, you can always connect the phone through the USB cable and use a android file manager to drag and drop it in the desired Android folder.