How can I create a Windows 7 USB that I can use to install Windows?
Question by Tom Red /

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate installation disc. I want to see if I can burn the set up to a USB so I can install the Windows 7 to another computer that has a non working DVD drive using the USB. Is it possible and how do I achieve such?

• Larry

My Windows 7 recovery disks from Lenovo comes on 3 DVDs. The first looks like the main Window 7 installations, plus two other supplementary DVDs. How can I transfer all 3 DVDs on to USB stick(s)? Will I need to transfer each DVD to seperate USB stick or can I transfer all 3 DVDs to a single USB stick to simplify the installation process?

• Sonny Bass

If your computer is set to show hidden operating files all you have to do is use 7Zip to extract the ISO to the root of a USB.Boots and installs perfect every time. If you remove the ig configure file located in Sources you can use it to install any version(starter thru Ultimate)

• illegal3alien

For the most part, you can just reformat it, run bootsect /nt60 E: (or what ever the drive letter it) on it, then copy over the Windows files. If that doesn’t work, reformatting it using directions people provided will definitely do it. Make sure the computer is set boot from USB.

• Jon Smith

You could use Image Burn to make an iso and launch it from the USB

• Mihovil Pletikos

the best way is to use microsofts Windows 7 USB/DVD that you can find on their web

• saparrot

WinToFlash is probably your best option, as axsablog said.

As for the ISO you need to make a copy of your windows disc as an ISO.
    Many dvd burning programs will allow you to “Copy to Image” or “Burn to Image File”.
    I use Infrarecorder http://infrarecorder.org/ it is free. In the menu go to Actions –> Copy Disc –> to a disc image.

• toothpain

• axzablog

You can use wintoflash application to do this in easy way

I hop that was useful

• hosein binandeh

you can use diskpart command line to prepare your USB Flash to be bootable:
    (NOTE: use the instruction only in winodws7 not in xp):
    cmd>diskpart
    get the list of disks by the command:
    list disk
    notice your usb disk number
    enter command:
    select disk x
    where x is the disk number of your usb device
    type the command:
    clean
    so that your usb device is cleaned
    type:
    Create Partition primary
    type:
    format fs=fat32 quick
    so that the usb device is formatted and is primary and file system is fat32
    type:
    active
    so that the device is bootable
    type exit
    and copy and paste the content of the windows 7 to the usb device
    and boot your computer with USB
    enjoy!!!

• Tom

How do I locate the ISO image file in the windows 7 disc that I have when I insert it in the DVD Drive before copying it to the flash?